Extra charge for extra guests in specific period

Nikolaos3
Level 1
Volos, GR

Extra charge for extra guests in specific period

Hello,

I have a repetitive problem that Airbnb cannot solve so far, about the host's pricing rules.

I have the following pricing rule:
Throughout the year the nightly price is 45 or 55 Euros for 2 persons, adding an extra charge of 15 Euros for every additional guest up to 7 guests. But, in July and August the nightly price is 120 Euros without taking into account the number of the guests (up to 7).

The problem is that the extra charge cannot be removed in a specific period.
So, in July and August, the base price is set to 45 Euros, because it will scale up to 120 Euros if the reservation is for 7 guests. But, when less than 7 persons are requesting to book the house, there is a problem. I had been advised by Airbnb to accept the requests and then send a special offer and ask from the guest to cancel the request if they are not happy with the adjusted price. However, recently a guest didn't accept the special offer and she was not willing to cancel the request, but I had to cancel it. That affected negatively my profile.
Airbnb gave me the wrong advice after talking for more than an hour!!!

After talking a lot with Airbnb again, I had been advised to decline such a reservation request and explain to the guest the problem. But this solution is not proper and it is difficult to be applied continuously.

This is a long term problem that hinders the proper management of the reservations, causing frustration to me, to the guests and to Airbnb customer support that have to deal with it every once in a while.

Kind regards,
Nikos

5 Replies 5

@Nikolaos3  - set up 2 listings for the same property with the rules you want - one with the extra fee and one with the flat fee - then block out the calendar for those dates where you want the other rules to apply. 

@Alice-and-Jeff0  - Thank you for your reply! This solution will work, but the reviews (which are very important for the reservations) will be shared between the two listings.

Reviews will be shared under your profile.  You can tell guests to look at all reviews right in the listing description.  You can even link to it and explain the seasonal differences - in season and out of season.  On the upside, the "new" listing will get preference in search results.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Thank you for your time to help me with this issue. However, there is another problem with the solution you propose. If a reservation overlaps the 2 calendars, instead of calculating the overall price, it will return no result (since there will be no availability for a part of the booking period).

@Nikolaos3  - well, then your need for a separate person fee and lower base price vs. set price is not time bound like you mentioned for July and August.  If you need to change the pricing structure for a set period of time, there is no way to do this on Airbnb without creating a second listing or sending a special offer if someone sends an inquiry.  What the Customer Service person told you is not off-base. 

You can set seasonal pricing to increase the price during the months that you want, but there is no "season extra person fee".  That does not exist.