Extra charges for water and electricity

Extra charges for water and electricity

Hi

As a host, how does one go about charging extra for water and electricity when it is applicable?

Thanks

Mireille 

76 Replies 76

I’ve always calculated a per person/per day standard rate that becomes part of the cost and extra person charge, then factored in the laundry costs into the cleaning fee. In a new location this may take a couple months to adjust. So if my household includes my partner and I for 30 days/month, and we have occupancy of another person for 20 of the days, we determine the estimated per-day amount and fold that standard rate into the daily/weekly/monthly rental cost. You may also be able to write it off when doing taxes as a cost for your rental. 

HI I'm from Malaysia. My guest had forgotten to turn of the AC when she checked out and it was running for 3 days and it was stated clearly in the House Rules. How do I charge the guest? Airbnb only allow to us to claim within 14 days but the electricity bill is based on monthly.

@Rhine0 wrote:

HI I'm from Malaysia. My guest had forgotten to turn of the AC when she checked out and it was running for 3 days and it was stated clearly in the House Rules. How do I charge the guest? Airbnb only allow to us to claim within 14 days but the electricity bill is based on monthly.

Hi @Rhine0 , the answers abound in this thread.  Either set your prices with this in mind, install a smart system that can remotely monitor and/or turn the AC system off or, probably the easiest, have your cleaner always go in immediately after guests depart.  If you stayed at a hotel, would you expect to get billed for extra AC use? 

But this is not a hotel and host facilities varies. Some do not have a cleaner who can keep checking on the property.   However, installing a smart system isnt a bad idea.

yeah i had a similar problem with a long term guest (30 days). the electricity bill comes a month later and 35% off the rental amount went for electricity.  And after 14 days you cant report.  so are supposed to bite the bullet on this?  

Hi Rhino,

I had a problem with AC too so got a device fitted to stop the AC if there is no movement in the place for more than ? 20 minutes. It seems to work.

I have a guest staying in my place and I didn’t expect the electricity to be that high, I mean extremely high. Can I ask him to participate in the payment of the Bill? At least some if it? 

Elven3
Level 2
George Town, Malaysia

I have a issue a guest come in 24 hours /7 open Aircon . How to advise him ?

Fendi1
Level 2
Puchong, Malaysia

I've just read in Malaysia (where I operate), the utility provider provides an option for us to install a Smart Reader which we can remotely monitor electricity use on 30mins interval. 

I intend to install it and see how things go. Perhaps a disclaimer on my listing for any electricity use above $X/day, guest shall be liable for the extra charges. Perhaps you can check whether available in your respective countries: https://youtu.be/Dq_fGDd_nsc

We have a pool, our guests somehow turned on the faucet on a side by the fence that runs the water to the pool from internal pipe on a top of the pool and its not some 1 inch indoor faucet\pipe. When you hang out by the pool you cant miss that. It appears they had it on for the duration of their stay which is one week, because our monthly water and sewer bill came $980 instead of $180. Im devastated and really want to sell the house and stop dealing with all this Airbnb nightmare. 

How awful Viktoria, it’s not fair at all. I don’t think renting can be sustainable much longer. 
I’ve been trying to sell a place in U.K. for 3 yrs but near impossible due to cladding. I hope you can resolve the problem. Good luck 

That’s awful maybe Try putting a locked cover on the spigot? 

Layle2
Level 1
West Bay, Honduras

My AirBnB property is in the Caribbean.  Cost of electricity is very high.  We can not factor in the cost of electricity to the rental price.  If a guest would run the AC all day and night we would have to put up the nightly rate too high and thats not fair to all the guests that don't use AC (just for example).  It is standard here to charge extra for utilities.  We say $0.50/kwh and do a meter reading at check-in and check-out.  I comment this in the house rules and also in the main body of the listing.  I agree with the other commenters.  It would be good if AirBnB allowed a dedicated field and value set for this kind of extra charge.  

I may stop renting my place using Airbnb unless this is resolved. Electricity costs way too much money to stay competitive in the market. I may opt for long-term renters instead.

Charge for utilities. 

Meter reading on arrival and departure. State in on your rules.

At the end of the if you rent a house/appartment its self catering. 

Like renting a car.. can one expect fuel to be fully included in your car rental.  

In ireland 1000ltr of oil can be burnt in 5/6 wks in winter. All one does is put it on constant. 

Airbnb should make it easier to collect this fees, 

Airbnb is a holiday home  rental website,