Extra guest/Place a mess- What to do?

Answered!
Deven0
Level 2
Sudbury, Canada

Extra guest/Place a mess- What to do?

Hi everyone. I'm new to airbnb, with my 3rd departing this morning, and it was by far my worst experience yet. He was dishonest about how many people would be staying, saying he was visiting with 1 guest when in fact it was him and 2 guests. I charge $20 a night for an extra guest. When I discovered he had an extra person I was just going to let it slide as I didn't want to start a problem over $40 (It was a 2-night stay). Then when the group left the apartment this morning they left it in a total mess. Empty and half-empty beer cans littered the apartment, making it reek of stale beer, pistochio shells left all over the counter and ground. Garbage around the apartment, sink full of dirty dishes etc. It took the cleaner over twice as long to clean the apartment, and cost me an extra $75 in cleaning fees (I charge a $40 cleaning fee, cleaner charged me $115). So now I no longer want to let the $40 extra guest fee slide, and am wondering if it's possible to get money for the extra cleaning fee (unlikely I believe). 
So what do I do, do I text them stating my displeasure of the condition the apartment was left in? Asking to pay for the extra guest fee? My only worry about going this route is that if he knows I'm upset with him than he might leave a negative review as well, even though from my understanding they very much enjoyed their stay. Do I not text him and just write a negative review? If I do this do I have any chance of getting the $40 for extra guest money? 
What would you do if you were in my position? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks! 

1 Best Answer

Go to the resolution center and request the additional money from the guest for both the extra guest and the additional cleaning fee. He will have to reply and either accept or decline and if he declines you can escalate it and involve Airbnb and they will make a determination. We have had success with this and did not know about it for a long time.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Jessica155
Level 1
Portland, OR

As hard as it may be, I would just leave him a negative review and not contact him about it first. Maybe let the money go...I would want the heads up as a host as I would not like to have a guest like that in my space. I just had someone lie about having a dog and there is dog hair everywhere. My first yucky guest out of 22...knew it would happen someday! I'm assuming your guest is young and a not so good review might be the lesson he needs lol. I hope this helps
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree with Jessica I also had a guy lie about a dog in a sneaky way he came with no luggage checked in then said he had to go feed his dog in his van ; laying a guilt trip on me an animal lover , I felt compelled to let in the dog but the next guest said she " knew" a dog had been in even though I sanitised the place

Go to the resolution center and request the additional money from the guest for both the extra guest and the additional cleaning fee. He will have to reply and either accept or decline and if he declines you can escalate it and involve Airbnb and they will make a determination. We have had success with this and did not know about it for a long time.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ask for the extra fee- and for 2 extra guests if you are absolutely certain it was two. As for a review - just say nice guy but could have been tidier and left the place as he found it.

Its not helpful to leave a dishonest review. I don’t want these guests in my property. We hosts need to protect each other.

Terra3
Level 3
Denver, CO

I would absolutely go through the resolution center for the additional fees and also leave a very honest review about him sneaking in extra guests and the condition they left your flat in. Other hosts should be made aware of people like this, especially when they are decietful and not resectful of your space.