Extra guests bug--do kids stay for free?

Angie10
Level 2
California, United States

Extra guests bug--do kids stay for free?

I currently have extra pricing set for guests over 8 people on my listing. A guest just booked the listing for 11 people (8 adults, 1 child, 2 infants) for the price of 8 people. I believe up to 5 infants stay for free (which isn't ideal!!!) but are children now considered unpaid guests as well? If so this is a big problem for me as I have many families staying and kids usually mean damage, extra cleaning and utility costs, etc etc. Does anything know if this is a new airbnb policy (kids stay for free) or whether the extra guest price setting omission was a bug?

amanda10
6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Infants 0-2 stay for free, kids 2-12 pay just like adults, @Angie10. There is no bug...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Joseph71
Level 2
Matavera District, Cook Islands

I have something like the same problem. We charge for extra guests, and also for children, but for children less than for adult guests. The Airbnb pricing doesn't have a feature to set 2 different extra payments, so at the moment kids get charged like adults. The only way I found to fix this is offering a special price. But maybe extra pricing for children will be available one day (hope). Or does anyone know how to set it up? I would be greatful for help. 

Angie10
Level 2
California, United States

I think 5 infants staying for free qualifies as a bug—if not a bug, a policy that should be rethought

amanda10

@Angie10 My current guests stated 3 infants. My rules state they must add them to the guest count as children and all humans pay to stay. They did not do this. The 3 infants are NOT infants. They are at least 3-4 years old. I saw them when they arrived. So they are paying for 9 people 1 over the guest count of 8 added to the cost and getting 3 children free as only one is under 2 years of age in reality which I charge for. I lost $180 on this guest and nothing I can do without risking a bad review on a newer listing. Once I get my Super Host ranking next month I will start cracking down on this crap and sending altered resevations to correct this issue, until then I grin and allow it.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why does it matter whether you have superhost status or not?

Why didn't you send this set of guests an amendment to the booking to cover the cost of the three additional children?

If they don't accept the amendment they don't stay. Simple as.