Extra guests fee scam?

Matt266
Level 2
Trafford, PA

Extra guests fee scam?

I asked for a quote for 10 people 3 nights, the host came back with a quote with just 1 guest listed. I noticed it and I messaged the host and asked if the quote would stay the same for 10 guests. He clearly stated yes so we made the booking. 3 days later he comes back with an alteration stating he knows he said yes to the quote for 10 guests, but can't honor it because there is an $18 per night guest fee listed on their listing. He is offering it for $10 per night as a discount due to his error, but I feel like this is a scam. With 10 guests and 2 weeks before the trip, I'm afraid we won't be able to find another place as they are booking fast and is a real  pain since everyone stated paying their share. How this allowed? It's $334 more than what was agreed.

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Matt266

A bit difficult to comment without seeing the listing and the inquiry you sent, but I do not think you could call it a scam.  An error or a misunderstanding yes, but not a scam.

Did your inquiry contain the correct number of persons ?

I messaged the host asking to see if there was anything within walking distance. He then sent me an offer with 1 guest listed. His listing does say they charge extra, but I saw that it only had 1 guest and I messaged him back stating very clearly I have 10 people and asked if the price would stay the same. He said yes, I booked it and he was happy. We even discussed the fact that he had a big van that he could drive all of us around. Then, 3 days later stated he made a mistake and is asking us to pay $334 more or cancel. Doesn't feel right to me.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

If you have the proof in the messages with the host in airbnb system, @Matt266, don't change the reservation. I mean if you really asked them in advance. Then IMHO they had the time to make up their mind. If the course of events was different...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I definitely have it in writing. My only concern is if he can cancel it if we don't pay the extra amount then we would be out of a place to stay. Doesn't seem right. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

With AirBnB you do not ask the Host for a quote, you put in the booking details including number of guests and get it that way.

David

I messaged the host asking to see if there was anything within walking distance. He then sent me an offer with 1 guest listed. I saw that it only had 1 guest and I messaged him back stating very clearly I have 10 people and asked if the price would stay the same. He said yes, I booked it and he was happy. We even discussed the fact that he had a big van that he could drive all of us around. Then, 3 days later stated he made a mistake and is asking us to pay $334 more or cancel. Doesn't feel right to me.

@Matt266, you can take comfort in the fact that if he cancels, he will be hit with a financial penalty, those dates will be blocked so he cannot take another reservation, and more. He won't want to cancel. 

So, should I call his bluff and leave the reservation as is? That's what I'm leaning towards sense it was his mistake. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello Matt

I think you are both at fault here.

You knew the host sent you an offer for one person. If you wanted it for ten you could have changed it to ten people and the correct price would have shown. The host (God knows why) confirmed the price was for ten when it was for one (is English their first language?

$334 dollars between 10 people doesn't sound too much.

You have two options;

1. accept the increased price

2. refuse it and the host may then cancel the booking as it will be cheaper for him to do so, then take a hit, even with the cancellation charge.

On no account should you cancel the booking yourself. This is mainly due to a host error, so if a cancellation needs to be made they should do it.

Helen this was my first booking and I wasn't aware that you could update the special offer that was sent and that is why I reached out to confirm the price with 10 guests. It's only $34 per person, but that's not the point. The point is that we could have gone somewhere else. If I run a business, offer a quote, and that quote is paid, then I am going to honor that price. I can't be sure this hasn't happened brfore