Extra guests

Answered!
Jennifer102
Level 3
Cape Town, South Africa

Extra guests

someone assist me please, I am too embarrased to ask my guests but she booked for two people and has turned up with 5,  I do have a surcharge for extra guests after two guests but she did not book the extra guests through air b and b she paid first then contacted me about the extra guests I did not want to loose the booking so I said yes but I thought that it would be covered in the cost but she was to clever for me so now air b and b doesnt know its additional guests and NOW they are having a dog stay the night as well even though i have told them its a STRICT no dog policy as I have rabbits and chickens and birds and cats on my property all free range, I am so uncomfortable with these guests but I dont know how to approach them because they are all here having a family reunion with other relatives , now they have asked for a third bed with linen and more towels, and the worst is I have more guests arriving the day after these one all depart they are using all my linen, I think this was my fault I should have told her to book the extra guests through air b and b but she caught me off gaurd  because she said it was only for one or two nights but it seems another family member is about to stay tonite with the DOG!!!!!!! I would like air b and b to contact her and find out from her exactly how many of them are staying in my cottage as I dont even know but its definitly not the original two and then charge them!

1 Best Answer
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Jennifer102  you need to speak to Airbnb about this and explain the situation to them; there is nothing we can do here in the forum. The guest seems to have tricked you and brought extra guests and a dog that weren't booked - actually you shouldn't have let them in if you hadn't received confirmation that they had paid. Unfortunately there isn't a direct phone niumber for Airbnb in South Africa so if you don't want an international call the best method would be to DM them on Twitter (the contact methods are all listed at Contact Airbnb).

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Jennifer102  you need to speak to Airbnb about this and explain the situation to them; there is nothing we can do here in the forum. The guest seems to have tricked you and brought extra guests and a dog that weren't booked - actually you shouldn't have let them in if you hadn't received confirmation that they had paid. Unfortunately there isn't a direct phone niumber for Airbnb in South Africa so if you don't want an international call the best method would be to DM them on Twitter (the contact methods are all listed at Contact Airbnb).

thanx Victoria, I know I really tried to get it out of them how many were actually staying but they had all arrived here the whole family and they were confusing me with saying the one sister is staying the one night then the other sister is comming for another night and then I couldnt work out about all the kids and then only today she told me the other sister is comming with a dog tonite???? the thing is thre were about 10 of them when they arrived with there very old grandfather and I really felt uncomfortable and akward and they didnt really give me a chance to explain, they have been here all the time since they arrived but with so many guests its just to embarrasing to go up to them now and confront them, I will phone air b and b in ireland this evening and see what we can do, it really just spoils it for all the other really good guests and I dont want to loose my super host status either so I am trying to be accomodating but I worry that the next place they have booked they are going to do the same thing to that host 😞  lesson well learnt I guess, I am a bit of a pushover 😞  they had paid but it was only for the two guests and they just would not confirm anything else with me but now I see there are definitly about 4 or five there, I will go over later with the extra linen and make 100% so I know how many to tell air b and b thanx for your help

but airbnb does not pay you until the day after they check in.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I think the deeper problem here is that you need to gather all your courage and stand up for yourself, your home, and your rules.  Hosting is not for everyone - there are a lot of difficult things that come with hosting or being a landlord.  Tough decisions that need to be made, tough conversations that need to be had, etc.  I urge you to push past your "embarrassment" and be firm with your guests.  Demand an accurate response.  And if the terms are not to your liking, let them know it is NOT ok for the additional people to stay.  Airbnb customer service is there to help to some extent, but this is still YOUR home, YOUR business, and YOUR life.  Take charge!

HI Cynthia and Chris greetings from cape town, I did!!! I went over there now with the extra linen and towels and very diplomatically asked how many were actually staying, they tried again to confuse me but I have established that one extra sister with two children stayed last night and tonite she's leaving and another sister with another two children are arriving with the DOG!!! I then said that due to Air b and b rules I need to be clear with air b and b as to how many guests were staying and that there was a surcharge for every extra guest after two, and they seemed fine with it, (whether they pay or not I dont know) but at least I had my say,  they also said the dog would go with the other sister this evening to her house??? . I think one of them lives locally,  its the nurse in me I am far to obliging and such a pushover but I really just want my guests to have a super stay, I have had such amazing reviews and such wonderful guests I have enjoyed doing this so much have met awesome people, but I do get the run around a bit but most of the time I let it go, but this time it was getting too much especially when the dog came into the picture, I rescue injured birds that can no longer fly and have a bit of an animal sanctuary here for parrots and birds and a peacock, its all part of what makes this place so magical so I was not trying to be difficult about the dog I love dogs, but some of my wild birds cant fly so I cannot have a dog it would scare them to death 😞 but I think its all sorted now, you were right I just needed take charge a bit, but there are about ten of them there at a time so its a bit overwhelming, I couldnt even get a chance to explain the alarm to them and so they set it off three times during the night!! I had the security company parked outside my gate, my poor husband got no sleep!!! but thanx for the support glad I used this site otherwise I would never have done it !

Wow, Jennifer, you are having an airbnb adventure/nightmare! If you have a security deposit, I would contact airbnb with a claim against that. If your guests are still there, you could make an alteration to their reservation (again, contact airbnb when you do this), but they will have to accept the alteration. This is so tough. Plus, it's a bit scary to have that many people on your property without having any input into the situation. And absolutely make sure you tell the truth in your review of the person who booked. I've just had to give my first bad review, and I got a TON of advice from Host Voice and Community. What's cool is that you don't have to pick the thumbs up/down icon to give the review. Just leave an unemotional review ("Guests did not inform me of extra people staying at my place, and brought a dog to the property without approval." If they leave the place clean (I hope so for your sake) you can say at least one positive about them (start with that). Sending thoughts of strength your way! 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Having been there myself I found out the hard way that you need to know when to say no or afterwards you will just end up kicking yourself and end up not having guests at all.

I still get caught out, hope it is minor and infrequent, and most people are fine but if you let the ones who are not get away with things you simply will not last.

AirBnB are a booking service, the business is yours.

David

Thanx David, debbie and kevin, I think I am a bit of a sucker lol, but I have managed to speak to them now and I got one of the ladies on there own, and they are obvioulsy a very close loveing happy family who just all want to be together for a reunion, may be I am being to submissive but I dont want to spoil there holidays, they live all over the world and clearly dont see much of each other and there is a very old grandfather as well, and it appears that there are no fathers / husbands around either??? and the mother is a teacher etc etc so I guess they are playing on my heart strings here I dont want to spoil it for them, I will just have to accept this time and be more careful next time. will see tomorrow what happens with the dog it did end up staying urghhhh tomorrow is going to be hell for me trying to protect all my animals 😞  its only another three days, I have never had any problems before not that they are a problem its just the amount of guests and the taking advantage of my hospitality 😞 . I will definitly let you all know how it pans out in the end, but I dont think I will get extra money, but its not too much about the money for me, I do this because I really enjoy doing the hosting and meeting the people I have met the most amazing people doing this and I really enjoy it. but here is another question I see most of you are on Level 10 ? what are those levels I am only on Level 1 and I really work hard at this and am a super host with all great reviews so am I doing something wrong, please feel free to look at my listing and let me know where I can improve, many thanx you guys rock!!!!!!

Yes, please keep us informed. And if you're a sucker, then ALL of us are, at one time or another. We want every guest to feel comfortable and special. And I can bet that MOST of us have had to let things slide in the moment, making a quick judgment call. Your situation is a bit extreme, however, and your  guests appear to be disrespecting your rules. If the dog is still there, you have a legit reason to be assertive, and to probably ask them to leave. Your property, your house rules. And, wow, your place is amazing! I'm putting it on my wish list. Be safe! 

Thsnx Debbie and Kevin my husband says I get the lifetime achievement award for worst business women EVER 😂😂😂😂😂but I really do aim to please I thought that was what it was all about . But yes we all going to get caught out I guess that's why we have this forum will keep you posted and thsnx for the compliments I hope you come visit someday 

Hi @Jennifer102. Your place is so lovely!   It's a dream to visit your part of the world, hopefully in the next few years I can make it a reality.

May I offer you some feedback on your listing?   I'm an old-timer on Airbnb and have encountered almost every scenario possible. 

I notice that your listing is written without formatting, and it has a few typos that will be easy to fix.   I also notice that you don't have any house rules, or no house rules of substance.    You have just had a situation where at least 10 people showed up to a listing that accomodates maximum 3 people.   But you don't have any house rule saying anything about extra guests.  I see that you do have a charge for the third guest, of $18, which is a great start.   If you take this situation as a learning experience, I would suggest that you add to your house rules:

1) Pets are not welcome here, as we have many free range animals on the property.    Guests arriving with pets will be turned away and not allowed entry.

2) All guests must be noted and included on the itinerary (you rightly told the guests that this is required by Airbnb).   I'd look at some other listings to see if they have some language on this issue that you can modify for your own use.

3)  This listing is not suitable for parties or events.   If you would like to have guests visit during the day, you must have hosts prior approval.

I know that I like to go back and look at my listings every few months and try and see it with fresh eyes.  Sometimes that means updating copy, or adding new pictures, tweaking rules, etc.    Having a good set of house rules doesn't make you any less of a great host.  In fact, I think it's very important for guests to feel that you're on top of it, organized, and placing a high value on your property and your sanity.   It will give them boundaries to stay within and most importantly, it will give you back-up if you ever have to contact Airbnb for help with a difficult guests.  You can't complain to Airbnb that guests are smoking in your bedroom if you've never told them that your property was non-smoking, so it's the same thinking.

I hope that this helps, and I'm sorry if I'm sticking my nose in!

Hi Maria

am I supposed to be putting @Maria0 ?? it doesnt come up blue?

Thank you so much for all your very helpful advise I am going to spend a couple of hours today tweaking and fixing up my description and my listing, I was very much an amateur when I started, but it hit off so well and I was so fully booked I really never checked it again so I am sure it needs some serious tweaking, thanx a million for those pointers I will definintly do it, I really do appreciate your help thanx xx Jenny

OMG!!!!! It's 22h30 here and my husband and I heard a really loud noise outside we went to investigate only to discover the guests are using a compression pump to pump up ANOTHER mattress they have borrowed from someone so ANOTHER guest can stay there are now SIX in my sleeps three cottage I am dumbstruck I actually really don't know what to say to them my husband and I are really shocked!!!! I am just over this bunch of guests!!!!!

So what did you do?

David