Extra insurance or LLC?

Answered!
Barbara2243
Level 2
Blairsville, GA

Extra insurance or LLC?

I'm new to Airbnb.

I have a shipping container converted to a tiny house. My first guest in Aug.

Question being. Should I get LLC? My main concern is protection of liability.  I realize ABB has host insurance but is that enough?

Thanks, Barb

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Barbara2243,

The Airbnb host guarantee is not an insurance, and any claims paid to a host is totally up to their discretion.  It also will not protect you from any form of liability.  I recommend that you contact your current insurance provider to get information regarding coverage for an Airbnb, and also research with other insurance companies for comparison.

I am sure experienced hosts will provide input in regards to setting up an LLC.  I didn't, but my space in Cobb County is a part of my home, and covered under my home owner's insurance.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Barbara2243 @Debra300  - Just came across this in the Terms of Service.  So even with the host guarantee, they recommend your own insurance:

7.1.8 Airbnb recommends that Hosts obtain appropriate insurance for their Host Services. Please review any respective insurance policy carefully, and in particular make sure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the actions or inactions of Guests (and the individuals the Guest has booked for, if applicable) while staying at your Accommodation or participating in your Experience, Event or other Host Service.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Ann72,

Thanks for the additional details.  I have USAA insurance, and before I listed my Atlanta space, I confirmed with them that my homeowner's policy covers Airbnb rentals in my home.  For now, I am not going down the LLC route, but it is never fully off of the table.

@Barbara2243