Extremely slow January, anyone?

Extremely slow January, anyone?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced this January (or any) as exceptionally slow? For the first time since we began hosting in October 2018, we are in a situation where we have no upcoming reservations at all – and it's been going on for almost two weeks. We are starting to worry, since a great deal of our income comes from Airbnb. Has something like this happened to you before, and how have you dealt with it? Our pricing is already as low as we can afford, and we really don't want to compromise on our slim income – although a slim income would be better than no income at all. *sigh*

It would be great to hear your experiences on surviving low season!

- Tommi & Emmi from Finland

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Tommi5  in Finland from across the other side of the world in Auckland, New Zealand.

Yes it's been slow across the world.

There's other topics about what is the likely cause of this issue here in CC if you look up similar titles using related Keywords in the search box.

Personally I feel it's IT glitches and some have said it's the same glitches that remain unfixed that need to be fixed, e.g Log In, Instant Booking not working, photo verification processes, calendar malfunctions, etc

It's frustrating for all when people can't "access" basic functions on a website because of incompetency in IT Departments.

Frankly, if I were in charge,  I'd be inclined to trace who is in the IT team that has worked there since these issues first started a number of years ago and give them a Don't Come Monday notice as it's bad for business.

Whilst everyone is entitled to chances in life, when it comes to people applying for and working in say IT where qualifications are not up to standard, or roles have been obtained with misleading CV's there must be questions asked and those concerned held to account.

Hope that helps

Central To All Home & Location, Remuera,  Auckland, NZ

Hey Tommi, 

If this is of any comfort to you,  i work in a hotel in Helsinki and usually January and February are very low season. Actually even workers now have reduced shift,s but we have learnt to save up during  peak seasons as we know this slow days are coming.  so in short , get in as much bookings as you can while you can ! hope you can survive 🙂

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Tommi5, seems to be it is common problem. Less people traveling after winter holidays. And adding Chinese epidemic problem, it is even worse. 
Let’s hope for the best, may be February will not be so empty and will bring us reasonable guests and income!