Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Eyeball rolling reasons why guests give low ratings

Hello fellow hosts, 

What reasons have guests given you as what informed their decisions to leave a low rating, that have made you roll your eyes?  🙄

Let's share, so we can blow off some steam at some and smile at others.

So we can also draw strength from knowing we are not alone on this hosting journey. 

So here's mine: reason was there were not enough plug points. We have 7 plug points in that space (maximum legal requirement is 8), 5 of which are visible and available for use (they are all double socket plug points). How much plug points does one need????

Enjoy your day!! 😉

74 Replies 74
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Oh my, the FB host groups online have loads of information on this subject.

I received a complaint that I needed to replace my mattress because it's old and uncomfortable even though the mattress is less than six months old. Never mind that this guest obviously found the mattress very comfortable since she was very loud with her friend in the room. Oh well, you just can't please everyone.

Edward467
Level 2
Port Jefferson Station, NY

We are fairly new at hosting  and one of our first guests complained after staying a whole week, that the sheets were not 100% cotton, the air fresheners gave her a migraine headache and the kitchen faucet dripped.  She did not leave a review but instead messaged us with these complaints.  She also said, the bed was very comfortable and the place was very clean and this would be the perfect place if not for these few items.  I asked why she did not tell me while she was here so I could purchase different sheets for her, remove the air fresheners and put in air purifiers (which I do own) and show her how to stop the faucet drip (she just had to move the faucet very slightly).  I was happy she did not leave a bad review but she left a bad impression and I don't think I would welcome her back again.  Just curious, would any of you welcome her back?

I've received notes and messages with suggestions as well.  I felt offended because I pride myself on being a good host and like you, would have preferred if they'd told me so I could take care.  However, a message or note is much better than getting a bad review.  If she does make another reservation, you can apologize when she arrives and say if there's anything not to her satisfaction, you'll correct it.  Take it from an experienced host, you can't please everyone. 

Nope

NOPE!

No, I would not welcome her back.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

They couldn't sleep with open windows because they've heard passengers and cars passing by the window .

Our place is in the city center, just 8 min walk to the main square, in 1 lane, 1 way street without heavy vehicles, trams, buses,  clubs or restaurants with outdoor terraces. But it is the city center of Croatian capital for god's sake! it's not a little house on the prairie 😄

I have something closer to Little House on the Prairie, @Branka-and-Silvia0 , and one of my guests left private feedback that the birds were loud early in the morning. 

And I hope you have taken steps to correct that @Lawrene0 

Fancy,  BIRDS in the countryside!!!!!!!  Who'd have THOUGHT?

I'd feel like saying "this guest is better suited to a post nuclear holocaust type setting"

@Lawrene0  @Rowena29  hahahahahahaha aaaa I can't stop laughing 😄 😄 😄

@Lawrene0  If your guests think the birds are loud in Ontario, they better never come to my part of Mexico. There is a bird here called a chachalaca- they are huge and sort of like a cross between a pheasant and a wild turkey, and they are really SO loud.

Kemi6
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

We've got a lot of bird life as well (I can hear them even as I type this) @Sarah977 and particularly one just like the one you described. 

Birds!  **bleep** them.  We have frogs.  REALLY LOUD frogs.  No complaints.....yet. HA!