I am so frustrated with Airbnb security deposit policy.  So I have had damages to my property and missing items, but I have no method to collect the $200 security deposit or even a portion of it, without waiting 72-hours for the guest to respond and then some power to be to decide if I get paid!  Why do I require a security deposit if I can’t really collect it???  I called to request payment from the security deposit and no one is available to talk about disbursing the funds or even how to access the funds.  I was told someone would contact me twice, almost 24-hours later no response!!!  AirBnb needs to fix this policy, I should be able to immediately collect on the security deposit within the first 48-hours and if the guest has an issue they should be the ones who have to file the claim....not the host!!!  Also, AirBnb should have a legitimate department, where you can talk to any actual person who cares about your loss!!!

21 Replies

Re: Failing Security Deposit Policy

in
Lakewood, NY
Level 3

💯, maybe AirBnb will actually read this post and care enough to make the necessary changes to protect their hosts! 

in
Toronto, Canada
Level 3

No, they won't.  their policies are designed in such a way as to make hosts believe they are protected when they are not.  Airbnb doesn't care about its hosts.  It is not a support network or a community; it is a listing service and nothing more.  Your best bet is to list your place on other services as well as Airbnb; you wont get any better customer service there, but you won't expect it either because they, unlike Airbnb, won't lie to you about it.

in
Alvin, TX
Level 2

I have had nothing but problems collecting for damages to my property. I require a security deposit and will no longer allow a guest onto my property that has not paid it. The money can be paid through the resource center but has to be deposited into my account before I allow a guest to stay. If there are no damages, I refund the deposit. My property has been damaged by guests and Airbnb .refuses to pay for the repairs finding stupid reasons to deny claims. I am advocating on different platforms that hosts list with other websites if they want to avoid this problem.

in
Orillia, Canada
Level 2

I’m also having issues with Airbnb and damage to my property. How exactly do you get the damage deposit?

in
Toronto, Canada
Level 3

You don't.  There is no damage deposit.  It's a mirage.  Airbnb collects no security deposit from guests.  It does not place a hold on the guest's credit card.  You are unprotected. 

You can try to get compensated through the so-called Host Guarantee, but unless your guest drove a truck through your front door, or you have access to the media, you will not succeed.  They will invent a way to not compensate you.

The ultimate solution is for you to disabuse yourself of the idea that Airbnb supports its hosts or that it is anything more than a place to list your property for a short-term rental.  Get your own homeowner insurance to cover big damages and be prepared to swallow the small ones yourself.  That's how it is.

in
Salt Lake City, UT
Level 1

I'd like to respectfully ask AirBnb why their deposits even exist in the first place, if they are something hosts have no control over and need to arbitrate through AirBnb.

The problem has become so bad that AirBnb has now unofficially encouraged hosts to use the resolution center to collect up-front deposits for non-physical damages. 

This is cumbersome for both guests and hosts. Instead, why doesn't AirBnb offer a separate "physical damage security deposit" and a "general deposit", and give hosts the option to require that deposits be collected in cash as opposed to an un-charged hold on the guest credit card?

Just a suggestion.

in
Toronto, Canada
Level 3

You pre-suppose that Airbnb cares even a whit.  They don't.