Fake booking enquiry warning

Answered!
Lesley335
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Fake booking enquiry warning

Hi all

I have now received and reported two similar enquiries received by my listing. In each case, the "guest" has only just joined Airbnb and has no verifications or profile details. The guests say they would like to book, but are concerned because they have seen my property details listed by another host. They include a link to what purports to be the other listing. However, this does not look like a real Airbnb property listing address, so I have not clicked on it. Checking through the normal Airbnb screens, there does not appear to be anyone trying to clone my property. 

I have reported both to Airbnb, but have not (yet) received any reply. Assuming these enquiries are an attempt to infect with a virus or some other scam through the link, perhaps the answer is for Airbnb not to allow enquiries until the member's ID has been verified.

Has anyone else received a similar enquiry and, if so, what did you do about it?

1 Best Answer
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lesley335 

oh yes, we all receive such messages/inquiries from time to time. It's a scam. I believe they send you a link to the website very similar to Airbnb and there is a login form looking the same as Airbnb's. When you login the scammers have your Airbnb password and can hack your account.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lesley335 Me too but oddly it was via the community inbox instead of the Airbnb site. Here I reported it and @Quincy helped. Good luck to you! 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lesley335 

oh yes, we all receive such messages/inquiries from time to time. It's a scam. I believe they send you a link to the website very similar to Airbnb and there is a login form looking the same as Airbnb's. When you login the scammers have your Airbnb password and can hack your account.

Hi. Thank you for your response, which I clicked as being the most helpful, in that it explained the purpose of the scam. I see that Airbnb have now taken this to mean that the issue is resolved!!!!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

This is a common scam that is mentioned on a regular basis on this and other forums @Lesley335 

Personally I would flag with Airbnb on their social media as well as reporting the fake profile.

Lesley335
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks, all. I've been on Airbnb for over 5 years, with 2 listings and this is the first time I've had this particular scam, although I did once have someone re-list my property details under their own name. Guess I've been fairly lucky. I've now had contact from Airbnb support, so hope they will do something about it.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lesley335, it's exactly as @Yadira22 mentioned. You've done the right thing by reporting his profile as this will be reviewed. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lesley335
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Quincy

I see another host  reported the same scam again yesterday. There is little point in just removing the offending profiles, one at a time. They will simply keep opening new ones. Surely the answer to this and also to timewasting advertisers purporting to be potential guests, is to require verification for new members before they can send enquiries. After all, they have to verify before booking anyway, don't they and the scamsters won't do it. Problem solved?

I didn't understand nothing about the personal link, the stars, the number.....sorry but I'm an artist and you know, the artists are a little out from the world......

Someone can reply to me like I should be a baby....and in Itaian? Thank you very much, love, Daniela

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't understand nothing about the personal link, the stars, the number.....sorry but I'm an artist and you know, the artists are a little out from the world......

Someone can reply to me like I should be a baby....and in Itaian? Thank you very much, love, Daniela......

Stephanie-Diane0
Level 2
Cútar, Spain

I have had this happen yesterday. I have reported the profile. I was sent a link which I did not open.  Again new member in November. Such a waste of time. The person has also given a Whatsapp no.

Still happening  although the issue has been reported several times

Lisa5623
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Been a co-host 3 yrs.

Added a new listing I host and boom! insta book... books this woman.

Going to stay with her husband and brother. When I went by to drop off more sundries/supplies...who answered the door?!? the inly male “Shawn” for the week! Wheres the woman that booked?!? he said staying with friends downtown! So besides breaking rules, having no common sense, and changing his name to “Jimmy” because he was expecting mail/package, I’M DONE! Tried to contact and report to Corp w/o ANY follow up. IN my region of LA county its not worth tbe risks to deal with “avatar guests” that aren’t vetted/verified.

Megan282
Level 2
Denver, CO

@Lesley335  I too have now received 2 fake booking requests.  The one today went further telling they had an exciting offer for me.  I just needed to send a message via What's App.

I've sent these into Airbnb, but am worried that I've received nothing back from them.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You won’t hear anything back from Airbnb @Megan282 

I got scammed, I transferred 880 euros, he sent a website same as Airbnb But I sent it to the Airbnb customer support to confirm, but the customer support said that the host is very good and there’s nothing emane me worry!!!!

FF7A8095-F14C-443F-AAAA-0847C15EF37E.png