Fake guest / business proposition ?

Fake guest / business proposition ?

I just got a request from a person claiming to be inquiring about a rental later next month. But what he really wanted was to ask me to consider renting out my driveway so he could put a travel trailer in it and allow the "guests" to use the bathroom and Wi-fi. He then proposed to split the income with me. I rejected his request but also wondered if I should report this and how to do that. I used the drop down reason for my rejection as "I believe this to be spam"...but should I do more? 

Thanks, Linda 

7 Replies 7
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

Hi Linda you must report this fake guest before he trys to fool other hosts. Take actions asap and have no pity!!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes you can also flag his profile and report him.

Hilarious - like you and your guests would want people from his trailer traipsing in and out of your place and blocking up the bathroom 😞

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Linda20

Yes, indeed hilarious. I can just imagine the budget trailer guests sitting around on your driveway in the evening strumming Kumbaja on their guitar while passing around the group spliff!

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

I'm going to add my voice to this @Linda20, and probably not a popular opinion, but as a self-starter, I don't mind someone else trying to hustle.   There is no "marketplace" here where hosts can advertise, and many hosts don't know that this forum exists.  So they only way they have to reach potential hosts is to create a fake inquiry.  There have been times in the past when I want to contact a fellow host and there is no way to do that except to make a fake booking inquiry.   I recognize it's a bother, as I always feel a "yeah!  a booking inquiry" then to have it turn to "oh, fake inquiry" but it doesn't bother me.   I think that in seven years of being on this platform, I've had "fake inquiries" maybe a dozen times, so it's not been a burden to me.    If it's something that I'm interested in, I'll reply to it, and if it's not something that I'm interested in, I'll simply tell the host "not interested".

Hi, Thanks for all the comments on my question about how to handle this business propostion and fake guest request. I contacted Airbnb and they advised, just as someone on this forum, that I "Flag" the request...which I did. I believe this person will not be blocked. 

I understand that there are people who want to do side businesses and are have inovative ideas about hosting but there does exist other ways to get the word out about ideas or services. In San Francisco we have independent Home Sharing groups where any number of people --with new ideas have presented their proposals for services to hosts.  Some are great and might take off but others are goining to go against all the regulatory restrictions that we have been fighting. So these proposals would not only be unwelcome but might be harmful by jeopradizing the permit or license of the person they were approaching.  I did reply to him and said, "Not Interested". But I did think that since hosts are in such a delicate balance with regulartory issues in many locations that a request like this to do something outside all the codes in our area could create harm for our community. 

In the past I have had a number or requests from folks--who are unfamiliar with how Airbnb works--ask me to have side conversations or come veiw the property before they decide.  I don't view those as fake booking requests and I just politely explain to them the situation and process.  I don't flag them as harmful or a scam. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my situation.  I value the feedback from everyone.

Linda 

Cousin Eddy!

Dawn99
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

Hi ~ 

I have gotten two fake boking requests in the past two weeks. They put a date in and ceate a fake profile with no verifications, then try to sell you something. I had a Realtor soliciting me to sell my place. Then a second one with some data analytics and a robo message about my property being highest ranked for cutomer reviews and bookings. We have been back living in our unit so we haven't rented it out in about 6 months so that wasn't true. I'm just wondering what we can do to stop these types of solicitation. It's annoying at least when you think you might be getting a booking. And you  must respond quickly so your response time is not dinged . Then you get to the inquiry only to find the solicitation. It just feels like yu've been tricked and this person just wasted your time.  What do you do ?