Fake listing

Roman349
Level 1
Riverside, CA

Fake listing

We rented an apartment listed for several days during the covid lockdown and when the riots first started. The listing turned out to be fake,  then my wife got sick with covid 19 then I got it. How can I now get s refund and have air bnb investigate this listing . I can't get a hold of anyone in customer service

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What do you mean by the listing turned out to be fake?  Fake in what way exactly? @Roman349 

Did you stay there? And if not and you cancelled through the platform, any refund will be processed within the cancellation policy you booked under assuming you cancelled at the time UNLESS the listing was not as described - location- key amenities etc, then Airbnb will refund if you notified them within 24 hours of arrival and provided evidence that the listing was not as described 

The listing did not exist. It was fake. We never stayed there . Called the property manager of the address given and they I they had no apart 202 on their property.  I cancelled and requested a refund but only got about 40 of my 333.33. Then my wife got sick with covid 19 then I got sick with covid 19 now we are attempting to follow up and get put refund but cant even get ahold of anyone is there a phone number I can call

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry still not clear.  @Roman349 

Are you saying you booked through the Airbnb platform. Got a booking confirmation from Airbnb  and then turned up for the booking and found no listing?

When you contacted Airbnb at the time to tell them of the fake listing and ask for help to find alternative accommodation, what was their response?

All the ways of contacting Airbnb are listed at the top of the forum you are posting in. You will have a very long wait on the phone. Better to go back via email to the case manager you dealt with at the time when you notified them about the issue with the fake listing.

I am sorry to hear you both got Covid while travelling. This is why we have been in lock down in the UK to minimise the risk of people who may have Covid travelling and spreading the virus.

@Roman349 

US and Canada phone numbers:

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Grab a book, you might be on hold for a long time.

Do I understand correctly that the dates you booked have already passed? If so, I don't understand how the fact that you're sick with Covid-19 factors into this. Airbnb is granting full refunds to guests who can't travel to their destination because they are currently infected, but there's no special provision for guests who cancelled the booking before they were diagnosed.

Do you have any other evidence that the listing was fake, or are you just going by the phone call? Perhaps if you post the link to the listing we can do a little armchair sleuthing.