False damage claim is inflated by a factor of 3 by Airbnb

Frank1463
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

False damage claim is inflated by a factor of 3 by Airbnb

The host of an apartment we stayed in, in Cartagena, made a false claim for damage for $118 to a table (some spilled liquid). Initially there was a Whatsapp conversation, then via the Airbnb messaging platform, where the host became more and more deranged, and finally directed insults at my wife. The host has previously been called out for discriminatory behaviour in a review (this review is still visible), and for another false damage claim (this review has been removed by Airbnb with no apparent justification).

The damage claim is clearly false because 1. it's dated to the day before we left the apartment, and 2. I supplied photos showing that I placed my laptop for remote working directly over the part of the table that's supposed to have been damaged (I was working remotely). There is no way any liquid could have been spilled under the laptop, and in any case I wouldn't be throwing anything liquid around close to my laptop.

The claim was made, I rejected it, though the matter was finished with... but 2 months later I was contacted by the "Resolution Center", to provide my viewpoint and any evidence I have within 72 hours. About a week later (I'm supposed to hurry, Airbnb doesn't need to... right) I get a first indication that Airbnb is reviewing the case, though they responded to a previous email so it's not clear that they read any of what I sent.

Then today, I get a claim from Airbnb for $450... i.e. 3 times the original claim!

Is this normal? All evidence rejected, plus the claim is inflated by a factor of 3? I have no intention of paying, of course, this is simply ridiculous.

Also, none of the tickets for my claims regarding discriminatory and racist behaviour were pursued, simply closed with no follow up. What's going on here? Where could I take this matter from here?

7 Replies 7
Frank1463
Level 2
Cork, Ireland

It might be worth noting that all this interaction with Airbnb is happening by email, outside of the Airbnb message and notification system, so I can't even respond to the claim, let alone contest it. Is this normal?

@Frank1463  I've never heard of Airbnb resolving a damage claim for a higher amount than the host requested before, so that doesn't seem normal. But it is totally standard for communication with customer service to go through email rather than Airbnb messenger - that part of it is nothing unusual.

Calling the host a "racist" in your review without any context probably didn't help your case too much - if you experience discriminatory behavior, it's better to state the facts than to take a cheap shot. But anyway, if the damage claim mediation is complete, your dispute is now with your bank rather than with Airbnb. They don't have a sophisticated operation to litigate the fine details of tables and laptops.

Thanks @Anonymous you make some good points. First, though, an update from me, barely an hour after receiving this from Airbnb:

"Hi Frank,

After careful review of all photos, documentation, and related communication provided by both parties, we determined your Host should be reimbursed for the damage caused during your stay."

I received this:

"Hi Frank, I am following up on your host’s damage reimbursement request.

After careful review related communication provided by both parties, we’ve decided not to charge you for the damage caused during your stay."

So my head is spinning, we went from $118 to $450 to $0. Nice for me, but it does nothing for my understanding of course.

About the resolution via email, that hadn't been the case for me until now, and Airbnb is insistent on all communications being via its platform, so it did make me suspicious.

And about the "racist" tag, sure, I went for the direct shot... but if you found the discussion of tables and laptops tedious, adding background in the review would have been more so. I try to keep these things brief. But I'll put these data points out there so you can make your own decision:

1. We're a mixed-race couple, I included my wife in the travel plan and in our introductory message to the hose, so she would have been aware of that.

2. The host's parting shot to me (after some weird messages about how my wife had taken over my mobile phone and computer) was "I hope you will be better accompanied in future stays".

Like I said, make your own decision, maybe I over-reacted, but the host is at the very least extremely insulting.

@Sarah977 yes, I will pay much more attention to the reviews and responses next time around, pretty much every criticism of the property was met by defensive comments, mostly of the type, "well, we have 77 positive reviews so yours doesn't matter".

@Brian2036 , well the original claim $118 so one would need very fat fingers to type $450 by mistake 🙂

Thanks you all for your replies and pointers.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Frank1463 

That’s truly extraordinary.

In a way it’s positive news, however, because it appears that someone is paying attention. More or less.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anonymous  It's rather interesting- Scrolling through this host's many reviews, I noticed at least 2 other reviews which accuse this host of racism. First time I've ever seen that, (seen accusations of discrimination, but not more than one in a host's reviews, and then it's usually evident that it was a revenge review,  as it rants on with a whole bunch of other obviously bogus complaints at odds with all the host's other reviews), so seems like there could be something to it, although  as you say, just calling someone a racist in a review without explanation isn't a good look.

And while she has plenty of good reviews, any sort of complaint in a review is met with a defensive, attacking response, even when it wasn't really a complaint, but just a heads up to future guests to do something like download an app that's needed to access the pool or jacuzzi.

I sure wouldn't be inclined to book with this host.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Frank1463 

I think there’s a good chance that someone in a hurry typed 450 when they meant 150.

It seems unlikely that it would cost $150 to refinish a table top in Cartagena, and for $450 you should be able to get someone to build a new table.

@Brian2036   Yeah, I just got a quote for having a table built by a local carpentrry shop, 60 cm x 150cm, out of good wood the bugs won't eat (and the shop does nice, well-finished work), for 6000 Mexican pesos, the equivalent of about $300 US. And I live in a very expensive area of Mexico.