False listing information

Luke486
Level 1
Colorado Springs, CO

False listing information

I recently booked a trip to an airbnb whose listing says that it has a pool. I just now found out that the pool is closed, yet the listing makes no mention of this fact - if your pool is closed, you don't have a pool. I am interested in cancelling my reservation, but the listing says there are no refunds. Is this something that the Resolution Center can take care of to get me a refund? I feel that if there is any false info (like neglecting to mention that your pool is closed) in a listing, a renter should receive a full refund...

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Luke486  Are you quite sure you thoroughly read through everything in the listing information, clicked on the amenities list, etc? Often a host has no control over when a pool is closed, if it is a shared pool maintained by the complex and the host will say somewhere in the listing that the pool may be subject to  closure with no notice. So make sure this isn't the case- that you just missed reading something.

It is unclear whether you are now staying at this place or whether this is an upcoming reservation, and if it is upcoming, how did you find out the pool is closed?

If you are quite sure the ad doesn't mention the possibilty of pool closure, and not having a pool is a total deal breaker for you, yes, you have grounds for a refund. Some hosts will offer a discount for a missing amenity, so if you'd stay in that case, you could ask the host about that possibilty.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Luke486 

A pertinent question is “Why is the pool closed?”

If it’s because pool season is over in that area, or if it’s due to local COVID-19 concerns or regulations, you have no grounds for demanding a refund. The host cannot control these things.

If the pool is closed for repairs scheduled by the host then they should have mentioned that.

Lance191
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

We recently stayed at a property that listed amenities that didn't exist (parking, office). We reported this to Airbnb, after our stay, and they said they contacted the host to "educate" them, but cannot force the host to change the listing. How many listed properties are out there that are false and misleading??? Very skeptical going forward.