Family in Greenvile, NC needs temporary housing while daughter is in ICU

Dara86
Level 2
Upper Nyack, NY

Family in Greenvile, NC needs temporary housing while daughter is in ICU

I'm a member of the Daily Burn Community on FB.  Tragedy struck one of our members when her little girl got hit by a car. The family has been staying at a hotel, and I suggested to the mother that she ask the airbnb community if anyone is willing and able to house them during this critical time. She replied that she doesn't like asking for help, so I'm asking for her. Her name is Courtney Gil.  The following is her latest post on the DB Community FB group:

Audrey had her inter crainal pressure block removed! Good news. She's doing well today. Had a rough night previous. I don't have any photos for today. But I was able to brush her hair and painting toes tomorrow 

Also, people keep asking me about cards and items to send in messages.

She loves llamas, outer space, cats, kawaii, and flamingos. She will be able to wear PJs and slippers when she wakes up. Size 7/8 shoe 13/1.

Address is our hotel

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

I will keep giving updates daily if I can.

6 Replies 6
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Dara86 I might sound really insensitive but this is not the place for these types of posts. While this group is called help, it is intended for hosts to help each other with hosting questions. If everyone posted requests for free housing, the pages will drown with those. Unfortunately there are many many people who could use free housing and every one of those people have a story to tell. Perhaps you can approach Ronald McDonald house or look up local charities for your friend. Here in Chicago there is even a charity to specifically help with parking at local hospitals. I hope the little girl recovers soon

That was not insensitive, you're being helpful. I wasn't sure what the nature of this community forum was, so thanks for educating me. They tried Ronald McDonald House already, but because of Covid they aren't able to house people now. Someone else mentioned Open Homes Fund and gave me a link. I'll try that. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Dara86 

Airbnb have an  Open Homes program for Medical Stays, which you might find useful?

Generous hosts from the community provide free housing and Airbnb collects donations from the public through its Open Homes Fund, to contribute to non-profit organisations such as the Hospitality Homes, Fisher House Foundation and Make A Wish Foundation, that help patients, families and caregivers in need of support and assistance when their loved ones are receiving medical treatment or critical care.

There may be some limitations as to who does or doesn't qualify for assistance, but it's worth reaching out and inquiring anyway.

In the case of Medical Stays, guests can search for and book an Open Homes listing directly for themselves, or a nonprofit staff member may make the booking on their behalf.

Here's a link to find out more:

https://www.airbnb.com/openhomes/medical

Thank you so much, I will give the family this link! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the area is open for short term bookings @Dara86  I am sure that hosts would be happy to accommodate them. They just need to do a search, based on dates, accommodation requirements and location and put in a budget and see what shows as being available.

As mentioned there is an Open Homes programme they can try to see if there are hosts who have signed up in the area they want to stay. 

If they are looking for free accommodation have they spoken to the hospital about what support they offer directly or through third party not for profits? 

Good questions, I'll ask them.