Feeling Threatened

Ali15112
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Feeling Threatened

Hello,

I hosted someone from Mar 6 to 13, and today, after approximately 2 months, he sent me a text that he needs his money back because a spider bit him and he has bruises. Also, he said that he got a parking ticket and the bedsheets were not clean, there were spiders, etc.

Although when he left my place, he gave me a 5 star review and said its a nice clean place.

At first I told him to send me a picture of the parking ticket and I'll pay him that but he didn't agree. He said either I had to give him the full money back or I have to let him stay for a month. 

Now I'm 100% sure that it's just a desperate try to scam me but I'm also afraid that desperate people do stupid things. He threatened to sue me because of spider bruises (that he didn't tell me about 2 months ago and no other guests ever complained about that). I just don't want to deal with this stuff in case he sues me or vandalise my property out of desperation? Am I over thinking? Or can someone tell me what happens if someone sues a host? Does AirBnB help out? 

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ali15112 Firstly do not panic. It is 99% certain that the guest is just trying it on with you.

Secondly - Report the guest to Airbnb for extortion

Thirdly - Report the alleged spider bites to Airbnb's host liability cover. It is almost certain the guest will do nothing but the sooner you inform Aircover the better.

Finally block the guest's number in your phone so that he can't text/call you in future.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ali15112 

IMHO this person should not be taken too serious.

But if you feel threatened then do not hesitate to report the guest's profile or message ("report" option) to Airbnb.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Ali15112  I can't see how he could possibly prove that any spiders bit him during his stay with you if it was 2 months ago.  I have no idea why you would have offered to pay a guest's parking ticket????  It is up to the guest to follow the parking rules so unless you gave him bad information I can't understand assuming the responsibility for that.

Ali15112
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Okay thank you! That's a relief. I guess I just panicked. 

Ali15112
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Thank you all so much. Your replies are such a relief. I reported him to Airbnb.