File a complaint about a host cancelling our reservation

Bang2
Level 2
Palm Harbor, FL

File a complaint about a host cancelling our reservation

I made reservation in Minneapolis, MN 4 months out for my brother's wedding.  The property was perfect in that it fit our family and was really close to the reception location.  Everything was going smoothly until the Host started to text me about renting the same property on VRBO to save $300.  I just ignored these text as I already had reservations on Airbnb with a $2,000+ deposit for 5 nights.  In hindsight, I probably should have just responded with a NO, but didn't think I needed to.  I was very responsive with all communications regarding my reservations with Airbnb,  just unreponsive about the VRBO issue.

A few days ago, I was informed that my reservation was cancelled due to "no responses to messages".  I immediately texted the Host for an explanation and stated that we should not have been cancelled because I didn't respond to his VRBO request.  I have screen shots of this.  I then went onto the VRBO site to see if I could book the property as I didn't want to lose it.  I discovered that the majority of the nights we wanted were  no longer available.  The charge rate that was booked by another party was approximately 50% per night higher than what we initially reserved the property for.

I am so frustrated.  With a smaller window, many of the properties are no longer available and the rates have increased since I started my search 3 months ago.  So now I have to scramble to find a property to fit a large group that is affordable and not too far from all the wedding activities.  I am discovering that this is  no easy feat.

1 Reply 1
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bang2 This host double booked is my guess on VRBO with a higher rate. First thing you do is report the listing and report the host's profile using the flag/report on each. Were your reponses to her on messages sent via AirBnB messaging system reply too? If so document this. Take screen shots of all her messages directing you to cancel on the AirBnB platform and go book it on VRBO that you ignored. Included your text to her also. This is a HUGE no, no in AirBnB's eye's her listing may well get pulled for this crap, as it should. The timeframe probably wasn't even available on VRBO as you just saw. She needed you to cancel and screw you, so she did not get hit with penalities for what I am assuming were double bookings or better optioned price wise bookings. Now armed with ALL this information you need to do a direct message at AirbnbHelp on Twitter it gets the fasest results. Bring up the VRBO books showing up at inflated prices, her asking you to rebook on VRBO and cancel your AirBnB reservation, which I am assuming she did via texts or phone calls as she could not have asked this via AirBnB's messaging. State that they can see on the AirBnB messages you responded always regarding the booking and your pretty sure she double booked on VRBO and wanted you to cancel. AirBnB should refund your service fees and give you a 10% credit towards a new booking. I might also add can they not force her to reinstate the reservation, since her reason for cancelling was invalid at all and nothing else is available, can't hurt. This is not your typical host on AirBnB, she makes us all look bad. I as a host would want her listing pulled as she hurts us all with this kinda bad behavior. Hope this helps. 

Letti