Filing taxes when I have used air bnb for a short term sublet

Ashley117
Level 1
London, Canada

Filing taxes when I have used air bnb for a short term sublet

Hello,

Wondering if anyone in Canada can help me with something before I file my taxes this year.

I rented my apartment (which I do not own, I rent) very short term on air bnb. So kind of like a short term sublet.
It was 9 days total over a 4 month time period. I did not make anything over what I pay monthly in rent. Worked out to a little over 900$
I am wondering if I have to claim this? I have read on a few websites if you rent for less than 14 days AND if you sublet and make less than your monthly rent you do not have to claim it on your income tax.

I am wondering if this is American or applies to Canadians as well? I live in Ontario. I wasn't able to find much on the CRA website so any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Nathalie333
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

hey Ashley! I am in a similar situation as you, I am in Vancouver and I am renting my apt as a sublet as well to save some money. We plan on doing it for the rest of the summer as it's pretty in demand right now with lots of travellers coming to the city and so far we covered half our rent in June and July/August is filling up quick.  But again I am not making a profit, and it wasn't for airbnb I would be using craigslist/kijiji to advertize the short term sublet. But Airbnb seems to be a better/safer venue. 

Did you find an answer to your question as I would like to know the answer! 

Honey4
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I am also in similar situation, please share if you know the solution