Finding that our listing had been changed to automatic booking, and the problems it has caused!!

Answered!
Fenella8
Level 2
Taunton, United Kingdom

Finding that our listing had been changed to automatic booking, and the problems it has caused!!

Had a guest booked to stay in one of our rooms. I was surprised to see we had accepted their reservation. Contacted the guests to say we were full with an elderly father in law who is very frail, plus family who had turned up unexpectedly. Guests seemed ok with not being able to stay but ask that we decline their stay. Well I just couldn't understand why there was no decline button not realising immediately that our listing booking had been altered, so couldn't decline but informed Airbnb by email, got a reply saying situation sorted. Told the guest the current situation and that it was sorted. Meanwhile Airbnb send £136 as payment for the reservation, which l then sent back obviously. Then guests are requesting another £28.75 that Airbnb have charged them and to refund them by declining. I tried over and over to speak to Airbnb and then got through eventually to a helpful girl, who then told me it would have to be referred to her manager who would call me in a couple of hours' time. Feeling assured this situation would be sorted I sit and wait from 6pm until gone 10.00pm for a return call, none came. Next I am requested to review the guests, so I did and then was able to read their rude and upsetting review, saying I didn't care and was totally incompetent. Then Airbnb comes back saying as we had a review of 3 so low we would be paused for 5 days. My stress levels and blood pressure is Going up and up!! I emailed the guest asking for her bank account details to send her £28.75 although it wasn't our fault all if this, but as a gesture of goodwill and put the matter to an end. Then l get a message from Airbnb saying they will refund this money from our next payment!!

please can anybody help me?? 

@Catherine_Powell 

@Tara_Bunch

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Fenella8 

You should have cancelled the reservation, so the guest receives immediatelly full refund.

You are responsible for a correct setup of your calender, it is not the guest's fault you can not accept the booking.

You state your listing was set to "Instant Book" automatically ?

Then you can try to sort this error out with Airbnb and if so, Airbnb will remove penalties regarding the cancellation

Hope this helps,

Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Fenella8 

You should have cancelled the reservation, so the guest receives immediatelly full refund.

You are responsible for a correct setup of your calender, it is not the guest's fault you can not accept the booking.

You state your listing was set to "Instant Book" automatically ?

Then you can try to sort this error out with Airbnb and if so, Airbnb will remove penalties regarding the cancellation

Hope this helps,

Emiel