First altered, then cancelled

Zaida3
Level 2
Tres Cantos, Spain

First altered, then cancelled

I have the cheapest room in town so I am usually booked. So for me to reduce the stay means to loose money. 

I charge between around 12€ per night plus an 11€ cleaning fee. 

Imagine that I am booked for 5 days: it would be 12x5+11=71. When someone alters to 1 night, it is recalculated dividing 71/5=14.2, in stead of 23€ (12€per night +11€ cleaning fee for a 1 night booking). 

It is even worse, when they cancel afterwards, when cleaning fee is again refunded, being 14.2 - 11=3.2€ benefit for a cancelled reservation and 5 days blocked. 

If I change to strict cancellation policy I would still have the alteration problem as there is not such a policy for alterations, and I am afraid of not accepting them as I am a super host and don't want any negative references in order to keep my status. 

Any idea on how to deal with it? 

6 Replies 6
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Zaida3 you always have the option to decline an alteration request.

Yes, but I might get a negative review then and loose my super host status

@Zaida3 Guests may review you below 5* anyway. Unless Airbnb changes their policy on guests' ratings...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Zaida3

when you receive or send alteration request you can manually change the total price and for example charge 23€ for one night. 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zaida

I think you're a little confused, are you competing on Price or Standards? Is low price and high standards not an oxymoron?

You say that you're the cheapest in your locality and your continuously book, In my opinion one malicious review won't do you any harm.

So, I'd refuse the revised booking and suck up any potential backlash.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III 

But still, why can't I be the cheapest, the nicest and keep my super host status? 

And it is not about money. It is about cheating. I have hosted for free in CouchSurfing for many years. Now I offer a service for young people who finally find what they believe is the job of their lifes after many years at college. I help and host them in their process of looking for a long term apartment. 

Then, I get quite dissapointed when they try to cheat the system by reducing and then cancelling.