First guests brought two cats to a no pet home.

Gemma264
Level 2
Cadnam, United Kingdom

First guests brought two cats to a no pet home.

I'm a new host who welcomed our first guests yesterday evening.

Despite our listing clearly stating 'no pets' the couple arrived with what first appeared to be one cat. (We were never advised they'd bring any animals. In fact, after booking, despite emailing, we had no contact until three hours before check-in.)

We decided to let them stay, but had a gentle conversation advising that the cat needs to remain indoors as our dog could startle it - also, as we are near a busy road (where we sadly lost our cat) we'd hate for anything to happen.

Five minutes later, one of the guests reveals to us that they have a second cat with them. He also said that Airbnb showed us up as pet friendly on their searches (I've 100% always had no pets checked as the space is too small to accommodate larger animals. Plus, as we have an over excited puppy, it's wiser to simply avoid any animals visiting.)

Add to the mix I'm 28 weeks pregnant, Im now really worried the cats will escape. And with cat mess being dangerous to pregnant ladies am concerned what I'll find when the guests check out on Monday.

Could Airbnb have messed up and shown us as pet friendly? I have contacted them to ask, but have heard nothing.

Utterly gutted this has happened on our first ever booking and worried we will get a bad review despite accomodating them.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gemma264 Airbnb, in their wisdom, also show homes where pets are not allowed when guests search for a pets allowed place. Madness really!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you have ticked the box to say no pets allowed as you have a dog and are pregnant I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking and help the guests find a listing that fits their requirement.

Have you checked your listing, if it shows as no pets I would say this is a guest error @Gemma264