First long-term hosting, guest has only email and phone number verified

Num0
Level 1
Bangkok, Thailand

First long-term hosting, guest has only email and phone number verified

I only just started listing one month ago. Yesterday I got a booking request, and I accepted immediately without really checking the guest's details. I only just realised that the guest only has her email address and phone number verified. I'm a little bit worried about letting a stranger staying in my room for one month. I will only be able to meet with the guest briefly at check in. Would anyone be able to give me some advice?

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Num0

even if they did verified with ID what does it mean to you ? If they rob you , you will not get their ID data from Airbnb. So, ask them to show you photo ID at arrival , check the photo and person in front of you and write down all their data (name, citizenship, number of passport, country and date of birth) and make them sign it.  so in case of any problems you will know your guests identity.

If they don't mind you can make a photocopy or a photo of their passports.

For the future, put in your house rules that photo id has to be presented on check in.

All hosts shoud do this, I don't understand why they are so naive and just let strangers come in their homes?

Thank you so much Branka and Silvia! Yeah I think I was quite naive when I submitted my listing. Now I have to be more strict with the requirements and house rules.

@Num0

it is obligated in some countries bc we have to register them at the tourist office. We have printed forms and just fill them at arrival. On the same form write the date and time of their check in and check out + number of keys you gave them (whith the note that they should return keys at check out)

good luck 🙂

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Num0 - Don't worry, you can still request your guest complete this information even though you have accepted their review.  I would message the guest back and let them know in your haste to accept their reservation, you overlooking some important things you would like the guest to address.  Request the guest finish verifying their profile, including uploading an ID.  Let them know this is important since you will be dealing with each other on a long-term basis.  You should also ask your guest some questions about themselves and their stay.  Why are they coming to your area?  What are their plans while they're here?  Do they have any friends nearby?  Let them know you want to make sure you two are a good fit so both of you are happy during your stay together.

Thank you Cynthia and Chris for your advice! I feel more relieved now. I should start some conversation with my guest before she arrives.

Christine458
Level 2
Nelson, New Zealand

Hello all I am a new Airbnb host and looking at our first booking. We are renting out one room and our first request is for 2 weeks. I assumed that we could review their full profile but can only see the previous feedback. Is there a way hat I can see their full profile details.advice would be appreciated . Christine

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Some guests don't complete a profile or have a photo of themselves. It's fine for you to ask them to complete their profiles or send you information about themselves, their plans for their stay and why they chose your place.

Going forward you can change your listing so you only have guests with verified ID

Hi Helen,

We are new to Airbnb and have someone who wants to book but doesn't want to add their drivers license to verify so is unable to book.  How do I check or change what verification we require?  Ours is a cabin on our property, so we are not too fussed about ID.