First time booking. Worried the host will cancel on me

Richard470
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

First time booking. Worried the host will cancel on me

Booked accomodation near San Diego for next summer. Travelling with family from Scotland. First time booking on Airbnb. Really happy with the choice but just realised the host has 1 feedback and that was 1 saying he cancelled 45 days before. 

a) how worried should i be

b) if i cancel within a day or so (i.e. less than 48 hours from booking) will I get my money back. It had a strict policy

The arrangement seems one sides. He can cancel on me with no penalty and I lose 50%

This is a booking for summer 2018. Just worried it could ruin a holiday. Advice appreciated

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Richard470  There are HUGE penalties for hosts who cancel so the system is not one-sided.  However, I completely understand when there are travel arrangements such as yours, it can be anxiety producing to see a cancellation review.  I suggest you send a message to the host about your concerns and see what response you get.  

Unlike a hotel, individual host circumstances can affect their availability.  Sometimes there are health issues or home issues that require the host to cancel.  If you need the guarantee of a hotel to feel less anxious, that might be a better way to go.  However, please know that Air BNB will provide great support to you should there be a cancellation.  Also, you might consider travel insurance as well.

San Diego is a wonderful place to visit and I hope your holiday is a wonderful one!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Richard470

I agree with @Linda108

Do contact the host and if they don't reply/you are unhappy with the answer, then contact airbnb and see if you can book an alternative property.

For future reference, always try and book with a superhost who has lots of positive reviews. They are more likely to be reliable if you are worried about issues such as cancellations.

If you just cancel the booking you will be charged in line with the cancellation policy you booked under ie lose 50% I believe so don't do this.

I presume the cancellation wasn't showing when you booked?