First timer.

Drew65
Level 1
Denver, CO

First timer.

I'm nervous about hosting my first Airbnb guest. Have any tips?

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Drew65. You'll love hosting. As to tips, go to the top of this page and in the dropdown under Discuss choose All Discussion Rooms. From there choose Tips & Tutorials. You can also search for "tips" using the forum search box, and look at the various "25 tips to get booked" type of posts, and this one: 60 tips. Also this

My own tip is to travel once or twice as a guest, if it is possible, to get that perspective. 

All the best!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Drew65   I don't see any active listing on your account. What's up with that? I looked in order to see if you were hosting a room in the home you live in or a separate dwelling. 

As far as being nervous, my advice is to just be yourself- none of us is perfect and the more we try to act like something we're not, because we think we need to act one way or another to be a good host, the more nervous we'll feel. Of course you have a responsibility to offer the paying guest a clean, comfortable space and to be attentive to their needs as long as they're not being unreasonable or rude, but think of how you might greet and deal with a non-paying guest, like say a friend of a friend, or a cousin you were meeting for the first time, who you didn't know but had kindly offered a place to stay. 

Be kind, make sure they are reminded of your house rules if you have them, like quiet times and no unauthorized guests, let them know that you are there to answer their questions and to make their stay as comfortable as possible, and that they shouldn't be shy about asking for something they need, that it's much better for you as a host to be aware that something is wanting that you can attend to at the time, than to be given a bad review after the fact, simply because the guest didn't mention that they needed more blankets or something during their stay. Humour goes a long way as far as breaking the ice. Also, if you exchange a few messages with the guest prior to their check-in (as opposed to someone just instant booking and arriving at your door, you'll have a better sense of who they are, if they seem fussy and demanding, whether they are laid-back, whether they have a good sense of humour, etc.

Some of your guests may be more nervous than you are. One guest I had early on in my airbnb hosting arrived and said he'd never used airbnb before and said he was feeling a bit nervous, and wanted to know things like if I had a curfew ( I laughed and said "I couldn't care less when you come home, you're a grown-up- have fun in town and just try not to make a racket on your way up the stairs"). He also asked if I wanted him to strip the bed when he left, and stuff like that, which was very responsible and respectful that he even asked. Once he realized I was pretty easy-going, he relaxed, and we ended up having some great conversations and laughs during the 3 days he was here.

Ann380
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I am wondering why Airbnb suggest a 20% discount for first timers then when you have added pictures and described your place it goes onto bookings and further suggests you add discount for 7 & 28 day bookings. I followed advice and tips thinking they must be right only to wake up following morning where someone wanting to book my double room for £8 per night for 28 days!

I quickly and efficiently negotiated with this this person however the price is still only £10.60 per night for 28 days. It somehow doesn’t seem right that I allow someone to stay in my place for 28 days and cost barely covers my utilities. Why do Airbnb suggest tips in this manner?

Following home from home policy and wanting to be a good host, what do I provide my guest for this cost?

Ann

@Ann380    The price tips are absurd and almost no hosts follow them- you can search many threads and comments on this on this forum. Nor is it necessary for you to offer a 20% discount, or any discount just because you're a new host. As to why airbnb makes these suggestions, they are based on some algorithm that no one can fathom and are computer-generated. The company's interest is in getting as many bookings as possible, not ensuring that hosts can do this profitably.

Ann380
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thankyou for your response Sarah. Yes I realise this now, at the time I was overwhelmed with trying to get things right.

i have since adjusted my prices. Meanwhile I have to host this guest, I will endeavour to be a good host despite my previous pricing. A lesson learnt.