For nonrefundable bookings, does guest get back the service/cleaning fees and taxes?

Judy41
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

For nonrefundable bookings, does guest get back the service/cleaning fees and taxes?

I am trying to figure out just what money a guest gets back if they cancel.

Suppose a guest books a place for $200/night, plus a cleaning fee, ABB's service fee, and occupancy or hotel taxes. Suppose that guest cancels at a time when s/he is entitled to a 50% refund. How much money would the guest lose? Just $100 per night? (= $50 of $200.) Would the guest also pay all of the taxes, half of the taxes, or none of the taxes? (And does the answer depend on the taxing jurisdiction?) Would the guest still have to pay the cleaning fee even if s/he never checks in?

And, under what circumstances would the service fee be refundable? Assuming the guest has never canceled an ABB reservation before, would the service fee only be refundable during the first 48 hours after the guest books? After 48 hours, would the guest pay all of the service fee, or half of it?

And, with fully refundable reservations, does the guest get the service fee back?

I've spent over an hour searching this site, but I can't find clear answers.  Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Judy41 cleaning fee is always refunded if the guest does not come. The taxes and ABB fees are outside of the host's control, that is up to ABB and I don't know what they would do. I once adjusted a reservation and abb was going to lower the rate but not the taxes and acted surprised that I thought the guest should not have to pay taxes on the now too high amount. I think an actual CS person is the only one who could say exactly what will happen, it is different depending on many factors.

Carolyn232
Level 2
Ithaca, NY

I've also been trying to get an answer to this question, as I just discovered that a guest from Canada, who wanted to cancel had been charged $555 on a 3 night reservation at $103/night with $50 cleaning fee. That means they're paying nearly $200 in fees and taxes!? And now that they need to cancel, even though we'll offer a full refund, Airbnb is still going to collect fees AND taxes?