I know this is a host oriented site, but I don't understand how it is in anyone's interest to FORCE me to come to NY city at this time. I am just past the April 14th cutoff for refunds. NYC is the hottest zone in the USA right now. I'm not even asking for a refund, just credit for a later time. As it is, I would be going from one quarantine to another with a nice chance of getting sick on the airplane. This is CRAZY.
Scott in San Jose, CA
Chill....... I am sure Airbnb will extend their EC policy past mid April as and when it suits them. I am sure you will get all your money back and your host will get nothing to help with their costs.
I would be happy to pay the host full rate for the same reservation at a later time. If the host is in financial difficulties, then would not having full booking later help him out at that later time?
My host would not even answer emails or calls. I had to find out from Airbnb that he had refused to move the reservation. Hell I would still make a deal with him. I have been very good to my hosts in the past, and am not looking to screw anyone.
Have you read the EC policy for the virus? @Scott1159 Post 14 April you can ask the host to do a voluntary 100% refund have you done this?
If not give it a go and if they say no wait for the policy to be extended.
@Scott1159 If you'd prefer not to wait for the free-cancellation window to be extended, you can open the itinerary, select "Change or Cancel," and request a change in your booking dates. This would require the host's approval, and it only works if the dates are available; they may be set at a different price, and there's no certainty of exactly when it will be safe to travel to NY again.
I don't recommend this course of action. Right now, hosts are losing months of income and may need to quickly reconfigure their businesses as long-term rentals or even sell them. It's not necessarily an advantage to be saddled with a commitment to a short booking long in the future under these conditions. Especially when you consider that Airbnb does not pay out the host until after the check-in date, and does not offer a "stored value" option unattached to calendar dates.
You're best off waiting, unless your travel insurer advises otherwise.
I know it's hard to wait..... but I strongly recommend it. Airbnb will most likely extend the date for penalty-free covid-19 related cancellations very soon.
Personally, I think we need to be prepared for the long haul..... at least the next 4~6 months, and probably longer for things to REALLY get back to normal.
In S.Korea, # of confirmed cases started spiking in mid~end of Feb so airlines started cancelling flights end of Feb for 80~90% of their flights till mid-March. Then mid-March, flights cancelled 95% of flights and the full refund is extended for up to end of April, and now everyone is expecting an *official* notice that confirms cancellations till end of May~early June flights. Some people couldn't wait and just went ahead to cancel an April flight end of Feb and paid the cancellation fee - which they ALL regretted only a few weeks later.
Hang in there and stay safe~