Fort Lauderdale requirements?

Fort Lauderdale requirements?

Hi, 

We are new to Airbnb and are curious as to what Fort Lauderdale requires us to have to be able to host here legally. We have listed our 86' Sport Fish boat that sits at the dock on our property. There are 5 bedroom, space for 10, but I only noted 3 with space for 6 in the listing. Figured we would try and start slow. We live at the house on the property and will be here at all times. 

Today I read online that Fort Lauderdale requires you to submit an application and pay a $750.00 fee to the Vacation Rental Registration Program. Is this correct? It also says there needs to be annual inspections of your rental. Is everyone in Fort Lauderdale on Airbnb following this? 

Also as far as taxes go, in some threads I see Airbnb pays the taxes in Florida, but on an artical I read it says this excludes Miami and Fort Lauderdale? Is this true and should I set aside money for taxes to be paid?

Thanks in advanced for your help,

Danielle

20 Replies 20

Airbnb is not responsible for the illegal actions of people listing their properties on their website.  You need to consult local professionals and authorities to make sure you are in compliance with state and local laws when you list on Airbnb.  Here's what I could find out from a simple internet search, but you should also do you own due diligence: 

http://therealdeal.com/miami/2016/05/05/how-is-miami-dealing-with-airbnbs-growth/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-lauderdale-vacation-rental-rules-201508...

https://skift.com/2016/03/18/5-charts-showing-state-of-short-term-rental-regulations-in-u-s-cities/

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-...

Good luck. 

Anthony48
Level 7
Miami, FL

Well, after several hours of work just researching what to do, I can assure you, if it's a room, or small situation you are renting - it's a daunting amount of work, and agencies to deal with. You are treated like any other motel or hotel, which means really - they have not caught up with "reasonable" sharing of space requirements to be safe, without considering your bedroom and full blown Hilton. We are all treated the same.

Some good news - starting in May of 2017, the Fort Lauderdale Commission lowered prices specifically to encourage renters to follow the law. I can honestly tell you - when you reach their offices, I had the nicest and helpful phone calls with 2 different code enforcement officers. I was not expecting to be treated well, or to get real help. They will help you - and from what I can guess from my research - they want more renters to follow the law and are flexible on deadlines - but don't push them - that's the idea I got. People who ignore this will get the full anger of the city, but those that try to do what's right will get assistance.

In two years, the basic registration went from $1,750, to $750 to $350. Other fees for inspection and yearly renewals also reduced. For homeowners who live in the same house, it's even lower.

One last thing. As I was getting really positive help, they were pulling up AirBNB listings within 10 seconds that matched your address, and *were reading every detail you wrote* about your property. Space descriptions, amenities, ALL of it. THEY KNOW you are listing. It's just a matter of time. For those of you thinking it's only when a neighbor reports you - NOPE - They are actively on top of all BNB type sites. I think my estimates tell me it's going run about $800 total the first year, and TONS of paperwork to comply, but subsequent years only about $300 a year (total of different agencies estimated). Review your financials and make your own decision if it's worth it for you.

OK ONE more IMPORTANT last thing!!! YOU MUST select the BNB payment option to "add occupancy taxes" IMMEDIATELY or you will be further in problems with them. The fact that we were already doing it meant AirBNB was AUTOMATICALLY paying Broward County (not the City of Fort Lauderdale), and we didn't start out in a deep hole to begin with.

GOOD LUCK. If you can message me, let's network Fort Lauderdale and exchange info, and help each other. We could all win/win here.

In Miami the hosts came together for a commission meeting, and the city USED THE SIGN IN LIST TO GO AFTER THE HOSTS. AirBNB SUED MIAMI and WON.

GOOD INFO THANK YOU , areTHERE meetings with members of airbnb in fort lauderdale?

where questions can be answered and where this can be clarified I still dont quite understand what to do about taxes and regristration and  what do airbnb do for us really we are paying for something should they pay the regristration ////???????or at least help .

I was hoping to have personal meetings with othere hosts

Beth

I can not explain how much I need my Airbnb. I started because I went throught 6 roomates in 2 months.  Here is my issue - I rent a house. I moved in here with student loans and a friend. Now, I am in a huge mess and I can not afford to leave my airbnb without losing my business and forced to move to colorado.  Not good-

I got a letter posted on my fence with a deadline. I am in full panic because I have a huge debt with my bank account and I will not have food for at least 90 days befor my bank account gets out of neg. Is their any way the city will work with me? 

Hi Anthony, I'm a fellow airbnb host in Fort Lauderdale. I'm starting out airbnb with my business partner. Would love to chat about the business with you... You seem very experienced.  

Reach out when you have the chance!  --- **

Hi Joey, I see you're starting a new venture id love to hear more on it. I can be reached at 954-744-9149

Isabel518
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hello. We are new hosts, and wanted to know if anyone has info about where to go to get the registration /permit from Fort Lauderdale or Broward County. I didn't find anything about AIRBNB online, just vacation rentals, and I'm not sure it's the same thing. This is not a hotel, we are offering a room in our house. Anyone has some tips/info?

HI!  I don't know what information you have found, but I went downtown to the city building that handles permits and they said that it is not necessary to have a permit when you are renting rooms.  I went to the tax office on Andrews and they said they didn't think it was necessary, but they were not sure and directed me to the permit office on 19th Avenue and they said no, not all not necessary.  So wondering why folks think a license is needed???

Jennifer1806
Level 2
Sanford, NC

Does anyone know an Airbnb super host in Fort Lauderdale near the port?

Anthony48
Level 7
Miami, FL

I am a super host 5 minutes from the airport. Anthony Florio. Both ports

Please call me at **. Thank you. 

Please call me at ** when you can. Thank you.