Fraud Possibility

Matt399
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Fraud Possibility

Hello, 

I'm just wating some advice on the following:
I found an apartment to rent (long term) on Gumtree and emailed the man (Tom) regarding the possiblity of a viewing, he states that the property is available on Airbnb, and we can rent it through there. I'm not sure whether this is a scam or not, as the property listed has reviews dating back to 2015 (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/5260716).
Any advice would be greatly appreciate!
The following is our exchange on Whatsapp to date:

7 Replies 7
Hilary79
Level 8
Spokane, WA

@Matt399   The host's reply sharing how the process works seems accurate based on what I've previously read on the forums (I don't rent my unit long term).  With reviews rating back to 2015 would also give me a bit more piece of mind.

In the States, I would probably cross reference the host's name against the property tax records for that state to ensure he is indeed the owner of the property.  Another option would be to call AirBnB and ask them about their verification process for hosts, and how you are financially protected if there is indeed an issue.

I wish you the best of luck!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Matt399 ,

If you book on the offical platform (which the provided link is) by special offer, it seems OK to me.

- Please note you have to pay Airbnb service fee (14-16%) on top of the  900,-

- The deposit is not mentioned in the listing

- Ask for renting contract after the Airbnb 1 month period

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Matt399   What you posted looks exactly like the SCAM rentals that are posted on here in abundance. I suggest you do a search on these forums- key in Scam and lots will come up. The wording of the communications is identical. (Could this be Sgt. Thomas Mitchell, perhaps? RUN)

Airbnb hosts do not "send keys". They either have a self-check-in with a lock box or key code or someone meets you there.   

@Matt399   Looks a bit suspect to me.  NOTE:  re: him saying that Airbnb will refund you same day if you do not like, as per Airbnb policy  The first 30 days of longterm reservations are not refundable.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Matt399 ,

all correspondence regarding rentig a place listed on airbnb should go through the airbnb messanger but he is corresponding through whatsapp. This is a red flag bigger than Texas.

Write an inquiry to the place listed through the airbnb messanger and see if he can reply on that, that is, if he has control over that listing at all.

I think this is a scam.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Matt399

Matt, hold your horses, it's a 100 per cent scam.

Read  through this link below , it's littered with the same technique.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

The scammer is dangling you bait - then trying to add some credibilty to this 'backstory' by mentioning airbnb. Next stage is you will be asked to wire money - if you do, for sure you won't see the money again and you won't ever see the keys.

Michael5143
Level 1
Newtown, Australia

Scam alerttt!!!  This is a scamme attempting to extort us in the same way, here is some screen shots from the conversation, hope it helps someone else! NEVER SEND MONEY WITHOUT DOING A SEARCH!  Scammers can even make a fake phone number that looks like its from your country! I have included a sample screenshot of the "invoice" he emailed me posing as Airbnb.  Nice try assswipe. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]