Free stay in exchange for Professional Photography

Kylie56
Level 2
Denver, CO

Free stay in exchange for Professional Photography

Hi there!

I first posted about this topic on the Airbnb subreddit and got an overwhelming response. I'm a professional interior and architectural photographer based out of Denver. I was hired directly by Airbnb to photograph 50+ of their Plus listings in the Denver area. Beyond that I work with real estate companies, staging companies, architects and editorial publications.

I will occassionally browse Airbnb for some fun trips in and around my area and I find that there are so many beautiful listings without professional photography. I'm always want to suggest a trade for a stay in exchange for a full shoot (valued at around $500) but feel too smarmy. 

I have reached out to a couple people but find that the Airbnb messaging system redacts my website/email. 

If you didn't have professional photography would you be receptive? Do you have suggestions on wording this to seem not scammy / suggestions on how to get my website to them without redactions?

Not sure if this message board will also redact my website, but here it is: https://www.kyliefitts.com/spaces

Thanks so much!

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

If you keep in mind that you are hurting hosts who do not wish to trade, putting them in the position of declining you and lowering their acceptance rate, @Kylie56 , you could send an inquiry with your proposal, and tell them to search for kyliefitts denver to find examples of your work. The system will not mask that as long you do not mention google or .com or website or any such words.

You can lessen the rap on the host's knuckles by assuring them they do not have to either pre-approve or decline you; that if they say no you will withdraw your inquiry immediately. Then do that. Don't leave it hanging.

I wouldn't be thrilled with such an inquiry even so, but you are offering something real, so I wouldn't call it smarmy. We have all seen smarmier. 🙂 So keep it professional and considerate, and read through the policies so you understand what is allowed and what your hosts face. It's very nice that you have asked here. 

How do I withdraw a booking inquiry on my end?

As far as policies go, by accepting that trade is this potentially damaging to the hosts standing on the site?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kylie56 @Lawrene0 

'Help' states Airbnb still offer free professional photography for certain geographic locations when setting up new listings.

I expect Denver as a large metropolis is one of those places.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kylie56 Good interior photography is difficult to come by and expensive.  That's why I've accepted two Instagrammers to stay for free in exchange for good photographs.  One came last month, took over my Instagram account, and provided me with amazing shots that I've started incorporating into that listing.  Another will come to a separate listing in June.

Because they're on Instagram, I could immediately see their work, which made it easy to decide to say yes.  My listings are in Maine, where free Airbnb professional photography is not available.

It sounds as if you want to stay in the Denver area, so my suggestion is that you dig around on Instagram and see if any of the properties has an account, then approach them through that platform.  If you have more Instagram followers than they have, it would be an added bonus if you took over their account during your stay.  They get great photography and an increase in followers.  It's a win-win.

I agree with @Lawrene0 that sending the host a message with dates when you're not going to pay to stay is awkward.  But I believe that, rather than entering dates, you can scroll down to "Contact Host" and message them in such a way that it doesn't require them to decline your inquiry.

If you're into Instagram, you could even offer to set up an Instagram account for a property that doesn't already have one.  You never know if the host has been considering it or not.