Friendly but terrible and disrespectful guests

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Friendly but terrible and disrespectful guests

Hi there,

We had these guests that disrespected all rules during their stay.  They opened private and personal cupboard and used personal toiletries in their first night. We provide Luxury Hotel toiletries for all guests and left that in the room, after that I kindly gave them lots more but they should bring their own, right? Because we know people can be cheeky, we also kindly ask them on the rules to respect our stuff. Our rules are common sense rules, we just ask people to be considerate of personal space and items, noise, no smoking, leave the bathroom in good condition after use. We had to ask Airbnb to remind them to be respectful and then, they said they did not know and said sorry but its clearly disclaimed and one should never assume its ok to be that invasive. Even after that, they weren't observant of the other rules. They check-out an hour ago, and left the room dirty and smellss like they have been smoking inside

They also knocked on our door twice, almost midnight while we were already sleeping just to ask if they could use the bathtub. Everytime they used the bathroom they did not minded the lenght at all and did not bother to leave it clean, and even left the floor extremely wet, with hair everyehere. We had to wait 2hs at least to use the bathroom, but that is not the bigger problem. I make sure guests acknowledge rules before their stay and just in case, there are printed rules inside the bathroom and their room, but had to clean the bathroom about 5 times a day!!! Insane. I have other guests in another room which are also being bad but not as bad so it has been some stressed days. 

As I said, they apologized  after using our stuff, and even got us a souvernir to show they were sorry, maybe worried about a bad review (they are 5 stars but one have one review and I have instant book on). They were friendly but just were a nightmare, not suitable to Airbnb at all! I've been a Superhost and also a guest for many years and I am is a state of shock of how they behaved and left everything dirty, with even sanitary products falling off the bin. I had a draft of a honest review (which states they were nice but should have more attention to rules and of shared space to warn future hosts), but because they apologized and gave us a gift they might think I am stabbing them by the back. What should I do? Or how should I write the review? 

Thank you so much in advance. 
Erica. 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If guests are not meeting your house rules such as keeping the bathroom clean, you need to speak to them about this directly, rather than cleaning up after them five times a day. If they were occupying the bathroom for two hours at a time, you need to tell them this is not acceptable.

Unfortunately some guests abuse our hospitality and we need to reinforce our house rules.

Leave an honest review say they were friendly but you were disappointed they went into a cupboard and help themselves to your personal toiletries when you had already provided them with their own toiletries.

Also talk about the state of the bathroom.

As a long standing superhost you know how important it is for your fellow hosts to leave an honest review.

The gift is a nice guesture but doesn't mean you shouldn't leave an honest review.

Hi Helen, thank you for taking your time to write a response. 

We did reinforce the rules with them as soon as they broke them and Airbnb also emailed them reminding them of rules. 
A part from that, because guests never or almost never read the rules when booking, I send this info close to their arrival, and Ive sent by message and email as well for this guests. There is a printed version inside the bathroom and in the room, I left on their bed with all the treats. It did not matter, some people have absolutlye no idea how to respect someone's house. Its a shame. I thought a t first it could be the language barrier, but its not. Somethings its just common sense. I will def write a review!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@AJ-and-Erica0  Sorry this happened and with 2 guests around the same time. 

Sometimes the nicest people will shock you.  Please do not give them a good review or let this pass just because they were nice and gave you a kiss up gift..............what we permit we promote! Other hosts need to know they are best NOT in our Airbnb with our house rules. Be honest, be fair but don't encourage them please. If you don't keep them from being our guests with thumbs down --- 1 stars you will be stabbing US all in the back..............cause they will continue and enjoy being pigs and get away with it. 

I had the sweetest people..even drove her to the airport.......totally trash my cottage - I had to throw away the comforter, duvet, sheets and pillow cases - they had a 4 night drug fueled/alcohol fueled sex party - just 2 - left every body fluid you can imagine on and through the comforter/duvet/sheets, etc. All fully dried in and never to be removed...... So as sweet as they were - I wrote an honest review.  Had them blocked from me - 1 stars.....thumbs down.  I wrote they were nice BUT I was very disappointed with their behavior. And they left me to have to replace many things in the cottage and much extra clean up. They are better suited to a hotel. 

good luck and happy hosting, Clara

Hi Clara, thanks for your advice.

Wow soo sorry you had this awful experience. This is appaling!!! Wouldnt in this case the guests had to pay for the damage? I don't think its fair when we as hosts have to pay for replacements or extra cleaning (even if we do it ourselses).  Now I have more experience and maybe less patience hhaha I wish I had charged guests that stained towels and broke stuff. 

I just think sometimes I am too harsh on guests, thats why I was wondering about the stabbing on the back, or wondering that maybe I am just fed up especially after these guests. But I always think on the next person hosting them. So I guess I am not harsh then ahaha I think my partner who hosts with me its just toooooo nice so I look like it close to him. Recently I feel the guests we've been hosting are getting less and less respecful and expecting more and more. I like the way youve put it, "sweet guests but disappointed behaviour". I might use that as I was wondering how to put it. If I am going to be honest, I will be honest about this too, they were nice, but not nice guests and its unnacceptable really. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"Nice" is a highly overrated virtue and fairly meaningless. I don't consider people to be nice when they don't respect a home or follow house rules. It's easy to be friendly and sweet, but it's actions that tell the real story. Some of the nastiest people have created a public facade for themselves designed to get what they want and behave however they choose without respect for others.