Full Refund due to covid

Full Refund due to covid

One of the parties going on my trip has come down with covid-19. Our trip is not until 07/09. Do you think its reasonable for our host to provide  full refund.

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Sorry to hear your travelling companion is sick, @Christopher1016 . The virus is so scary. 

As to your refund, what did you sign up for when you booked? Is the host's cancellation policy flexible, moderate or strict? Is the host standing by the original agreement? That will define what is reasonable.

But if you want to go beyond reasonable to what is available, take a look at your Trips page. There should be an option there for cancelling without penalty if a guest has COVID-19. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christopher1016 I think it depends entirely on the severity of the virus. If it is at the lower end of the scale then travel should be fine by 9 July.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Christopher1016 

No Christopher. It is not reasonable to expect your Host to provide a full refund.

Your parties health is no fault of your host and provides no reason why the rest of your party cannot travel. Continue your trip and leave your ill friend behind (if at that time they are still ill of course). Alternatively, claim on your travel insurance. Thats what its there for. Should you wish not to travel because of the illness of your friend, cancel and expect to pay the full cancellation fees of your host and the full service fees of Airbnb. That is all in your contract.

If you wish to reschedule your trip, I'm sure that your host will try to accommodate you any way they can.

I would expect that making any cancellation pivotal on the illness of any particular guest would need to have that guests' details fully disclosed and identified to the host before attempting to obtain a refund based on that person's inability to travel.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christopher1016  07/09 reads as the 7th of September to me. Which seems like a long way off to want to cancel because one of your party is now sick. If it's July 9th, then I can understand why that person wouldn't be able to travel.

But what is reasonable is to accept the terms of the cancellation policy you agreed to when you booked. Or continue with the booking without your friend. In that case, if there were extra guest fees charged, then it would be reasonable to ask the host for a refund of the extra fee for that one guest. 

Emily1207
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

unacceptable I’ve been in hold for 55 minutes i need someone To contact me immediately I have an emergency and my host is being horrible 

@Emily1207  This is a discussion forum for hosts and guests, not Airbnb CS. If you can't get through by phone, try them on Twitter.