Full refund request due to Croatia moving to the red list

Alexander1021
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Full refund request due to Croatia moving to the red list

HI there,

I have a booking for 3 nights in Zagreb 30 Aug - 2 Sept and would like to get full refund when cancelled. On the platform it only shows me I am eligible only for 12 GBP refund even when selecting extenuating circumstance as reason to cancel.  The booking was made prior to Croatia moving into the red list of Covid countries.

Let me know what I need to do in order to get full refund for this trip. 

Many thanks

Alexander

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Take a look at https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

in the Help Centre, @Alexander1021 . Did you make your reservation before March 14? If yes, then you qualify. If no, then you do not, since the pandemic was already on. The explanation: 

"Our extenuating circumstances policy is intended to protect guests and hosts from unforeseen circumstances that arise after booking. After the declaration of COVID-19 as a global pandemic by the World Health Organization, the extenuating circumstances policy no longer applies because COVID-19 and its consequences are no longer unforeseen or unexpected. Please remember to carefully review the host's cancellation policy when booking and consider choosing an option that provides flexibility."

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not sure that is correct @Lawrene0 

In the UK there is a watch list of countries that our Foreign Office have advised against travel to.

@Alexander1021  You will need to call airbnb explain the circumstances and if necessary provide the with a copy of evidence showing the foreign office advises against travel.  You will have to be patient to wait to get through on the phone.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alexander1021   As a successful host yourself, I would imagine you have had to deal with the constantly changing Air BNB response to the Covid 10 pandemic and cancellations.  System responses are unreliable as well and thus you need to speak with customer service.  In these circumstances, the CS is difficult to reach as the phone is being answered for issues involving reservations within 72 hours.  You could wait until then and still the actual refund will take time.  Good luck!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexander1021 I think @Lawrene0 is right and you cannot claim a refund as you were aware of the risk before you booked. If your travel insurance won't pay out then you have the choice of going and isolating on your return or not going and losing your money. This is arguably fair as the host has probably lost the chance to sell the dates to someone from Croatia or a country that does not insist on quarantine.