Future guest is writing me and stalking me on Facebook

Annina3
Level 2
Antibes, France

Future guest is writing me and stalking me on Facebook

I have been a super host for a year now, and never had problems with my guests. I have a 2 bedroom flat, one for me and one for my Airbnb guest.

I have a booking in June that now is making me feel uncomfortable and Airbnb is not replying to my complains.

A quite old guy has booked for 2 weeks next June.  The problem is that since he booked – 10 days ago - he have been writing me really often, calling me on the phone even once (just to ask me how I was and for chatting).  Yesterday he also tried to connect with me on Facebook, writing me and asking for my friendship there. I know that I shouldn't even accepted his booking if I have this type of safety concerns (being alone) but as said I have never had a problem so far. 

The fact that this fellow has not even reviews doesn’t help my peace of mind. I would love to cancel this reservation given I live on my own and I won’t feel OK with this guy around, however – given he is not offensive so far but just intrusive-I am not sure I could be allowed to cancel without losing my super host status and paying 100 dollars. 

Not sure what is the best to do, honestly.

Thank you in advance for your tips and help!

26 Replies 26
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Annina3 

contact Airbnb, tell them you FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE hosting this guest as he is stalking you over the internet, sending you messages and calling you every day and you host in your own home.

I am sure Airbnb will cancel this reservation without any penalties for you or your guest and he will be fully refunded.

The best is if you call them (you are superhost so they will pick up a phone immediately) or to contact them via Twitter

Thanks! I am going to call them now. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Annina3 

I am sorry you encountered this problem with the guest.

When you say he has been writing to you and calling you - is this in connection with his trip?

Has he been writing through Airbnb?

What did you say when he asked to connect on social media?

I never connect with guests past or present on my social media. This is my personal space. And Airbnb is a business I run with paying customers.

If this is an IB then you can definitely contact Airbnb and say you would like them to cancel as the guest is making you feel uncomfortable by constantly contacting you and trying to connect with you on social media.  Even if it is not, I think you have grounds for asking them to cancel it.

Thanks Helen.

No, it is not just about the travel but he is kinda trying to have a friendly relation with me. I think he put my name on Facebook and found me. That is a kinda of stalking. Thanks. I feel confident now to get my cancellation without any problem! But anyway I am a bit worried he has my address 🙂

Thanks a lot! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Annina3  I can imagine this makes you feel uncomfortable, but remember he doesn't have a way of getting in.

I don't know if this will help but I only take guests with photo ID, who tell me about plans for their stay, why they chose my place and their arrival time.

It seems vetting guests does tend to mean you end up with fewer problem guests.

Do let us know what happens with Airbnb as this will help other hosts who are unfortunate to be in a similar position.

Beware of him trying to book under another name/profile.

If he continues, contact the police...I do not know the laws in the UK, but in the US he is stalking you.

Casita-By-The-Texas-Bay0
Level 10
Texas, United States

Your safety is FIRST!

Call Airbnb and cancel his reservation...it is not worth your peace and safety.

I did call them twice yesterday and I am still waiting they cancel the booking. Absolutely, safety first! 

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Annina3 as a female host in a similar 2 bedroom set up (although I only take female guests) that would majorly creep me out. There is zero reason why any guest should need to call in advance to just chat. I would 100% get Airbnb to cancel his reservation. Good luck!

You are right. Zero tolerance to the no reason intrusion in life. This is a business. Thanks Valerie! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Annina3  When you contact Airbnb, make sure that you let them know first and foremost that this is a TRUST AND SAFETY issue, not just a simple request for a cancellation that you feel uncomfortable with. 

I received an email to my personal email address purporting to be from Airbnb, but the return email address was not an Airbnb address, nor even close. I immediately screenshotted the email and sent it to Airbnb. The first thing I wrote was TRUST AND SAFETY ISSUE!  They put it right through to a Trust and Safety rep, rather than some CS rep just sending me back some cut and paste reply or misunderstanding the issue, and I was emailed back within hours by the Trust and Safety dept. thanking me for alerting them, telling me it certainly didn't come from them, warning me not to reply to it (of course I hadn't) and that they had checked my account and assured me it hadn't been breached.

Thanks Sarah! I am starting being really concerned how AIRBNB is handling this. I have written, called them and I am still waiting they cancel it. I did flag since the beginning as a safety issue. The thing is I need also to cover asap these 2 weeks and I don't want to miss bookings. Yes, you are right is a TRUST and SAFETY ISSUE.  Hope they wake up and cancel it ASAP. Thanks so much! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Annina3 

I would give them a call again and ask them them to give you an answer.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Annina3 

Contact Airbnb through Twitter or Facebook (whatever you have) It seems they are the best and fastest. I always got a reply within 1-2 hours.

When you call Airbnb they CAN cancel the booking immediatelly, you don't have to wait for their call (it is just an excuse for them to end up your phone call and forget about you) They never call back. Be persistent, good luck and let us know how it ended.