GREAT! Another ANTI - improvement by Airbnb :P

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

GREAT! Another ANTI - improvement by Airbnb :P

You know when you searched for the accommodation using a split view - on the left you could see the list of homes and on the right you had a map.  When you mouse-over the apartment than the pointer on the map changed the color and you immediately knew where it is located.

Well.... not anymore!  😛 😛  😛  hyaoooo!  ( At least not if you didn't select your dates.)

Now you can mouse over the apartment picture but the pointers on the map will remain black so you have no clue where it is located.

You have to click on the picture, open the listing, scroll down bellow reviews and all to see the location.

Isn't that great !?

I can't wait to see the next genius improvement 😄 aaaa I'll kill myself...

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

How it was before ( and still is but ONLY if you have SELECTED THE DATES )

- when you mouse over the picture on the left then the price bubble on the map will change the color from white to green showing you the location.

air-map2.png

But now,  if you don't select the dates then you will see this ( screenshot bellow)

... and  if you mouse over the apartment picture on the left the pointer on the map will NOT change the color and you will have no clue where the apartment is located.

air-map1.png

The good thing is - the base price is not shown any more if you didn't select the dates.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Branka & Silvia,

you would think that if all these changes were made randomly that some percentage should be,an improvement, right? Alas, every change I've come across has made things harder-from the calendar that now shows a week rather than a month- the disimproved guest review process- the pages long host review document-I could go - it makes perfect anti-sense that potential guests can't easily figure out where the heck the listing they are eyeing actually is. I 've had several guests cancel when they realized, with a few gentle hints from me, that mine isn't the best place for folks who are looking for a spot close to public transportation.  It was a hassle for the guest who had to find a different accomodation & a hassle for me as the guest cancelling knocks me off of IB for a while, how long? That too seems random!  I've heard from my well- traveled kids that spring in Croatia is beautiful, I hope things are blooming for you, Sally

I am without words. Honestly, I just never know what to think about why Airbnb does the stuff they do. It's often not logical so if you're think you can figure it out - don't try. Because it often has nothing to do with enhancing user experience. I used to rely on that map when I was scouting properties. Sigh. Got fed up and booked a hotel in London instead. And "I'm" a superhost here. 😞

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Christine615 

Branka & Silvia,

I venture to suggest this latest application doesn't make much difference, if any, in London given

80,000 listings. So area specific searches allied to map are the norm as far as I learn from my Guests, many of them first time users..

Moreover, many listings include area or postcode in their title. Thus my listings state: SWISS COTTAGE/ HAMPSTEAD NW3.

Christine,

I fail to grasp your concern. Presumably you entered Dates as well, judging by your hotel booking.

So if first time users are able to discover places relatively easily, we may imagine or expect it should be far less of an obstacle to a 'Super Host'.

@Alon1 

I fail to grasp your lack of understanding. So we’ll call this a draw. I do know how to search. Thank you very much. But I agree with the original post. My time has value and if it’s easier to see choices for hotels on a map then an Airbnb, people will move on. Likewise at one point dates showed total price with fees. Now it doesn’t. I found my search for an Airbnb in London frustrating because of the changed UI and the extra steps now needed to view properties. So wonder if this results in reduced bookings.

if it’s frustrating for me, imagine a new person.

Its not a London problem. It’s a platform wide problem.

Airbnb needs to stop changing the user interface.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Christine615 

Paradoxically then I've had more bookings in the past two years than previously, and more specifically, more and more first time users. Not surprisingly because Airbnb has expanded considerably.... But we are talking about London one of the biggest Airbnb markets.

Morever, tests on my own listings, show that if you enter dates & number of guests, total price includes Cleaning Fee & Service Fee.  So I really don't see the problem.

@Alon1 

you see the total price because you are in Europe. Europe makes it mandatory (customers protection etc...) In US initial search shows just the base price and everything else is added later, there are threads about it here on CC

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Mine still works the old way.  Here I've chosen "Blue Hill, Maine -> Homes -> Show Map."  Then hovered over the top middle listing.

Screenshot 2019-05-23 08.29.22.png

@Ann72 

it is probably another A/B testing. I feel like a testing rabbit.