General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) since 25 May 2018

Paulina89
Level 1
Warsaw, Poland

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) since 25 May 2018

Dear Airbnb

There will apply the change of data protection laws within the European Union due to UE’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which will come into effect 25th May 2018.

What measures have you taken to protect data of our guests and to protect our data, and to avoid misslead the incomming law by anyone in Airbnb community, so as to comply with these regulations or you expect us/ hosts to take steps?

Kind regards, Paulina SuperHost

4 Replies 4
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello Paulina

Thanks for raising this very important topic, there's a huge can of worms now which is going to be interesting how it unfolds as it's "Cross Border" legislation including for those of us with European ancestry who live in other parts of the world.

There's many aspects to take into account including that countries like the Philippines where there Customer services is based lack robust Privacy legislation unless that's changed in recent times.

Some countries need a wake up call in general terms with Laws..

James43
Level 3
Long Beach, CA

I just received a request to remove data. I don't know if it's legitimate or not. I'm not having any luck contacting Airbnb so I may just ignore this.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi James

best to see what other jurisdiction it comes under.

There's sometimes very valid reasons to ask for data to be removed.

If it was a request via a Guest send them a msg and follow it up.

Without knowing ins & outs about it it's hard to know what avenue to venture down.

Do remember Airbnb are not legally qualified to form opinions on legal matters as they are likely to be outside of there customer services scope of practice and legal qualifications.

All the best

Joseph455
Level 1
Ashford, United Kingdom

In the EU, and for however long it may last including the UK, the new laws apply. I have asked AirB&B about their regular requests to give them access to my address book. They did not reply as yet, now four weeks ago, so I contacted the new government service in the UK. They did reply and stated that it is not illegal to ask for access to my address book, however it is illegal for me to allow this access, if I do not have a legal basis for the sharing of personal data, i.e. having asked and received and recorded permission for sharing from everyone in my address book.

I would like to suggest AirB&B stops asking hosts to avoid them inadvertently doing something illegal. I have not had a response from AirB&B.

Any suggestion about how to get a public response and commitment to avoiding the likelihood of hosts breaking EU law, are welcome.