Getting over being scared to host

Getting over being scared to host

Recently had a guest that made my family scared for our safety. AirBnb was great in supporting me, but now I am scared to host anyone else. I had to threaten to call the police. Anyone got any ideas to help me get over this fear?

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Cheryl737 

Such a guest is an exception (and was hopefully removed from the platform by Airbnb).

Maybe it helps sharing the "bad guest" story here and have some moral support from fellow hosts.

Fear is not something which can be removed instantly, but it will minimize or even disappear by having good experiences with new guests. So why not give it a try ?

Thank you.

I tried to help out a fellow soldier who I had to call the police to have him removed. He was verbally and emotionally abusive. He let 2 fourteen year old girls watch his 2 year old son. They locked him in a room for 5 hours and did not feed him. The father said this was acceptable for his child and that he was going to believe 2 fourteen year olds over what I said. 

I hope that I do not have any guest this week and am chalking this up to just a bad batch of luck.

I appreciate your support. It has made me feel better.

@Cheryl737  What an awful thing. So sorry you had to deal with that. Not many people come to the forum to post "wonderful guests" stories, people tend to post when they have issues, but in most hosts' experience, the majority of guests are just fine. And I hope you get lots of them.

I have had a doctor stay and he spent an hour and a half talking to my son about wanting to become an x-ray tech. They talked about other things as well. I have a nurse stay and she was friendly as well. Most of the guest I have had have been wonderful and said when they come back they will return to my home.