Getting ripped off by airbnb

Answered!
Sandra5053
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Getting ripped off by airbnb

I booked an Airbnb for 3 nights in Montreal and was flying in.  I paid extra for early/late check in/out.  The host cancelled the night before at 11:30 pm so I had to scramble and booked a more expensive hotel.  I have in writing that they cancelled and would pay all fees.  I just got a partial payment with it stating I cancelled.  I didn't even have the details to get into the unit.  This is a complete scam and I am furious. I am following up with airbnb but the amount of energy I have spent on this is ridiculous. The whole experience has been a nightmare and I hate airbnb at this point.  Absolute joke and worst customer service ever!

I would like to put a review up for the host who was very difficult after I paid all my money.  Wouldn't provide details within 24 hours of how to access the unit and then cancelled abruptly.  But now I can't even put up a review to warn other people about this scammer.  

I feel airbnb is completely ignoring all of this

1 Best Answer

Thanks for this information. I have been dealing with this person and the Ambassadors for days now.  They say they have paid me in full but I have yet to see it.  The invoices sent to me do not show this.

I will definitely report. Thanks for this information

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sandra5053 

If a host cancels the reservation, the guest will receive full refund.

If not, something must be gone wong in the (automated) process, so please contact Airbnb.

A host who cancels is penalised (charge a fine by airbnb, dates can not be rebooked)

Also the host will get an automatic review stating the reservation has been cancelled.

If you consider the host as a scammer, you have the option to report the host (via "report" option on the profile) to Airbnb.

Thanks for this information. I have been dealing with this person and the Ambassadors for days now.  They say they have paid me in full but I have yet to see it.  The invoices sent to me do not show this.

I will definitely report. Thanks for this information

Hi Emiel, sadly I tried the report function but it isn't very good.  It only has specific scenarios/drop downs that Airbnb defines.  It doesn't really cover what happened here.  Not very useful