Giving a bad review

Katie60
Level 1
Underhill, VT

Giving a bad review

I recently has a couple stay in our guest house and leave it an absolute mess.  I know messes, I have 4 kids!  But this was just gross.  Food EVERYWHERE.  Full plates of it in bed, stained sheets, pots and pans full of food on the stove stop, all over the cabinets, bathrrom tron apart, personal effects leaft everywhere, blood smeared in the bathrrom... It looked like a scene from Animal House.  We have NEVER had quests treat the house poorly.  This was really disheartening.  I had a weird feeling about them from the begining. They were pretty stand offish and never really made eye contact with me.  The whole experience was strange. I have never left a review that was anything less than 5 stars.  I don't want to be a jerk...but c'mon!  This was bad.  I am kind of of the mind set that is you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anythign at all.  What happens if I do not leave any review at all?  Is there a way just to report them as gross house guests to airbnb but not leave it for the world to see? What would you do?    

17 Replies 17
Donna45
Level 3
Newport Beach, CA

I say you tell the truth to warn other hosts. I hope you also demand additional fees for the extemsive cleaning it will need .

Hi Donna,

Who are they going to demands fees from ?

Katherine

Katherine15
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Hi Katie,

If they live far away...leave a scaving review !   I think AIRbnb should have guests put down some sort of deposit..........where you are now, you have no recourse.  Next time....LISTEN TO YOUR GUT !!!  I am almost 67 and my instincts have carried me a long way.  I turned down a guest based on things he said in his emails to me.  Something was wrong and I did not want to find out what.

So, sorry this happened to you..fortunately it is not the norm.  Hang in there !

Katherine in Santa Fe

@Katherine15   FYI - every single one of my guests must be able to pay the security deposit that is MANDATED on my listing.  Its not Airbnb responsibility to do this, its the host.  I have no clue why a host wouldn't choose that option on their listing, but I can tell you that the security deposit has been paid to me for a couple of guests who chose to cause damage in my home or took things that didn't belong to them.  I chose $300 for my listing.  Don't you have a security deposit on your listing?   If you don't, make sure to add it.  Good Luck.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Katie60   I am host in Honolulu and I wish someone had left a review for MY current guests who are here now.  Turns out she (35 registered nurse) has been a guests before and the FIRST host chose NOT to leave a review which has really upset me now bc I am seriously considering ending their stay 2 days earlier.  I can't take it anymore.  I have repeatedly told them that this constant interruptions is NOT acceptable as I am working, but they are taking advantage of me being at home.  Its every 5 mins they need something all day long.  Not to mention they are rude, break my rules, leave their bedroom a mess, and dont' even take a moment to connect with our pets, but they told us they love animals, yet they asked us to keep our cat away from them....please make sure to leave a HONEST review (I do) and help make sure none of us get THAT MESSY guests.  Why would you NOT want to warn us?  I can tell you that I will be leaving these two an honest review.  They have no business turning MY home into THEIR home....they paid for a bedroom yet, they are leaving their mess all over my home, the hallway....and guess who has gone above and beyond to help them save money on activities by buying it for them with my Hawaiian license which gives them 25% discount on everything, yet, they have done nothing , absolutely nothing to show their appreciation...I barely get a "Thank you".   Oh did I mention I get up early every morning to make them a beautiful Hawaiian breakfast complete with everything and they can't be bothered to bring me their dirty dishes so I can wash them....(its in my rules to do that), nope...they leave it on the table in the garden and walk away....WHO DOES THAT!?!?   Again, please take care of other hosts by leaving a VERY honest review as I rely on those to help me make a decision for future guests.  I don't know a host who doesn't.   Thank you for reading.    (by the way, take photos of your place and send it to Airbnb, I have done that before and video!  Airbnb really appreciated it.)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Reporting them to AirBnB for leaving the place dirty means nothing. AirBnB are only interested in guests that may put hosts in danger by their actions, or who are unstable, etc...

You really need to leave an honest but concise review so that other hosts are aware.

Think about it - if you saw a review for this family that said, 'left the place extremely messy and dirty' - would you have accepted their reservation?

Vini0
Level 2
Netherlands

Hi @Katie60

I am just wonderning why you dont want to write review which you faced ?

You really need to leave an honest ,concise review so that other hosts are aware and they will think before taking this guest.

the way you describe is disrespectful to the place and people who offer the place.

Airbnb, Can help you to raise extra cleaning charges throught resolution centre.

I gave really honest feedback to the guest who created mess at my place in two days. I know some people can say why to be bad books however being honest can help the host .

Best of Luck.

Regards

Amy55
Level 2
Vestal, NY

Hi.

Airbnb never posted either review until both reviews were done.

Do they post a bad review from either the host or guest? Do all reviews get posted regardless of one being done

and not the other?

I made a mistake and gave a good review because, the guest never complained when I asked if there are any questions or concerns.  Then in her review she blasted me with several complaints that I was not aware of.  I say I have a microwave, she does'nt use microwaves.  I do not list that I have a kitchen, she wanted a kitchen. She also wanted me to provide an electric coffee pot (WHAT THE HECK)  I know her main dissatisfaction was that I would not let her come early and leave her luggage. I gave her an hour early that was not good enough, because she had booked dinner reservations before my check-in time.  Additionally she is an Airbnb owner.

Elizabeth282
Level 2
Queenstown, New Zealand

I have been hosting for exactly one month and I had a very bad feeling about my last guest after they booked. They had been members for over 18 months and had no reviews and no profile. I had instant book on but have now changed that to guests with reviews although I do not know whether bad ones are accepted by that - does anyone know? The man and partner were from South Korea and had little english. I picked them up from the bus and drove them around town to various places requested and to the super market as they had no vehicle although we are walking distance to town. I briefly saw them the night before they left and asked them to talk to me before departing. However the following morning they raced out to a taxi and disappeared before I could speak with them. I went to the loft and there were bags of rubbish and lots of odour of strong cooking smells.   I new this was possible as their culture has stronger cooking smells and I was prepared to accept this from three nights. However when I went to clean the bathroom a chip fell out of the cracked vitreous china hand basin - something say a bottle of wine must have been dropped on it and there were lots of bottles in the rubbish! 

I have given these guests their very first review - a thumbs down was completely factual as to the why.

Also within 24 hours I put in a photo of the chip and crack to the resolution centre and a request for NZ$1000 which will not cover the replacement and I do not expect the guest to reply.  However I was pleased to write something they will receive. The loft has hardly been used and the architect selected all the house semi recessed basins from a catalogue no longer available and put them into very long specially designed cabinets. The whole thing will need replacing.

I have had some great people and given six 5 star reviews of all my other guests but I am so gutted by this one.

If anyone out there has any comment or advice I would be happy to recived it. 

Hi. I would be in touch w Airbnb resolution
Center for all reimbursement of damages. And I would never take instant booking ever again, and I would check w ALL previous hosts that your guests stayed with, and I would not book a guest if their reviews were longer than 6 mos-12 mos.. If any phone numbers are not correct, or any suspicious emails or texts that don't seem right, do not book. I had a third party book for others that turned out to be a party in my home and ruined my home.. Check all phone numbers given and call them. Most of all, if your gut feeling says " no" then don't book it! That was my mistake. Phone numbers did not check out.
Good Luck!
Amy

Amy55
Level 2
Vestal, NY

Hi. I also had my house destroyed and I left a bad review for my guests because no one should have to endure what I went through.

People like that have NO regard for other people's property and deserve to have a bad review. They should have their account shut down as well!

I would be in touch w Airbnb resolution
Center for all reimbursement of damages. And I would never take instant booking ever again, and I would check w ALL previous hosts that your guests stayed with, and I would not book a guest if their reviews were longer than 6 mos-12 mos.. If any phone numbers are not correct, or any suspicious emails or texts that don't seem right, do not book. I had a third party book for others that turned out to be a party in my home and ruined my home.. Check all phone numbers given and call them. Most of all, if your gut feeling says " no" then don't book it! That was my mistake. Phone numbers did not check out.
Good Luck!
Amy

Amy55
Level 2
Vestal, NY

Yes, PLEASE GIVE AN HONEST REVIEW! Don't let other hosts have to experience the same awful experience as you did!

we are all in this together!

thank you!

amy

Rahul9
Level 1
New Delhi, India

The reviews should be given.

But most of the discussion here centres on the host's issues. So, in order to make it more balanced, I would add my two cents from a guest perspective also

What if the host makes a lot of noise?

What if the host barges into your room giving no privacy?

What if the listing is not accurate and you are in a foreign land?

Please do inform the Resolution Centre and get all the evidences right - in form of communication over Airbnb platform, pictures, audio recording. Treat this is a judicial matter which needs evidences and report, review.