Got advice? I'm a first time host, and just got a 3 month duration request. Could this be a trick?

Kevin23
Level 2
Charleston, SC

Got advice? I'm a first time host, and just got a 3 month duration request. Could this be a trick?

The client has said they work for a big oil company and will be here for 3 months.  Although I setup the initial price below market value to gain a bunch of positive reviews and eperience, I can probably negotiate a gradual increase each month with him.  But my question is: Could this be a scam or trick of some kind?  It seems too good to be true, and mamma told me to not be a fool for money.  Are there some questions I should ask before even discussing it with him?  Thoughts?   THANKS! 

Kevin.

11 Replies 11
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

It could be legitimate, especially if there is a big oil company in your area that's likely to hire contractors. One thing to consider is that if you have a long term rental, it will take longer to reach superhost, since you need to have 10 completed bookings. Not a huge deal, just something to consider. Also, at the end of the 3 month period, you'll have at most 1 review, which may impact how potential guests look at the property.

Thanks Ed & Hugh.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query.  I have heeded your advice and turned the fellow away.  Just too many downsides and I'm so new at this = low probability of success.  Thanks again!. 

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Kevin23,

@Ed-and-Hugh0 have provided you great information in regards to achieving Super Host status and reviews but have you also considered that long term renters will likely receive tenant rights where you live.  Airbnb does have an article on long term rentals  and make sure you understand the long term cancellation policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-long-t...

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks Dave & Deb.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query.  I have heeded your advice and turned the fellow away.  Just too many downsides and I'm so new at this = low probability of success.  Thanks again!. 

You can have the guests sign a cancelation contract for each month. It gives you the right to evict at the end of each month. I forget the legal name for the form, but it is a must is California. After two weeks the guests become squatters and then it takes 3 months to evict and a 1000.00 in legal fees. If the property is perfect. If your property as any defects as per renters laws they can stay until you make repairs. And then evict. I have seen it 3 times. I have been in the rental game for 30 years. A month to month contract signed in advance for each month will take that away from the renters if that's there game.
Good luck.
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Kevin23 - you have received excellent advice from the other hosts.

I would also like to add that you are within your right to ask the guests to provide documention that shows they will absolutely be needing lodging for 3 months.  Several hosts have taken an extended booking of a few months only to have their guest cancel on them after one month and wanting a refund.  However, this host was lost on any potential bookings that could have booked the place since it showed his or her calendar full during the original guests stay. Something to consider.  AND....you also need to prepare yourself on what you will do if they do decide to leave early.......after 15 days, or 30 days, or 45 days....etc. There is nothing wrong with having a lengthly conversation with a mature, educated, responsible guests.  When I get a requests for my "rental property" where a tenant is signing for a year, I can promise you that I have many conversations with a potential tenant to get a feel about them from their responses to my concerns, plus I run a background and credit check. (Airbnb does not do this)

Also, here's another option, ask the guests to book 29 days and block the calendar for the remaining 61 days to ensure they can continue their plans should they decide they want to stay and you agree on them staying.  That way you both have a comfortable option that gives you 29 days to breathe and ensure you have made the right decision.  If it doesn't work out, then wish him well, and open your calendar. 

and @Dave-and-Deb0 is absolutely right about tenant law.  In our state, once a guests has stayed 30 days they are protected under the rights of a lawful tenant, and not a hotel/bedandbreakfast/vacation guests.   Something to think about.  Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thanks Momi.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my query.  I have heeded your advice and turned the fellow away.  Just too many downsides and I'm so new at this = low probability of success.  Thanks again!. 

Suzie0
Level 4
Cobham, United Kingdom

I have someone just moved in a week ago for 3 months.  Problem is this really isnt the accomodation they need and I dont like them.  They cant afford what they need which I guess is why they are here.  3 months with people you dont like in your house is a long time.  I'm in UK so legalities will be different, but its worth considering compatibility when accepting long term guests.  Even 10 days is a long time.

Goodluck

Suzie

I agree with what Marion has suggested.
If you are feeling something is off then I too would decline.

Set up your listing for shorter stays initially until you feel your way with having people in your space.

I have a 4 day minimum as it is such a lot of work for 1 night and not worth it financially to me. Also perhaps

set a maximum time stay ... all may be changed as you find your comfortable level. A week to 10 days

works well for me personally. Some guests go early and come in after dinner, others will want to cook 3

meals a day (I give access to my kitchen) so they are in your space quite a lot.

I have also developed my house rules along the way to reflect the type of guest that is preferable to

me. I will send a couple of questions to get a feel for a guest that I sense may not be a fit.

I trust this helps. As my first guest advised me it is your home so set it up how it works for you. There are

many people looking for what you offer. Trust that.

all the best with your new journey. I have been blessed to have met some amazing guests.

Ah I have just seen they are already in. This may be something worth addressing with customer service. Though 

they seem to have removed that link 😞

Kind regards Sandra 🙂

Marion18
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I set my max stay to 21 days although I like it when they are gone by 10  days, this will be different for  everyone dependening on why they are hosting on airbnb in the first place. Since you are trying to get reviews I suggest you pass on this one and see what else is happening. 3 months is a long time to  see  how businness is foryou in your area , I would want a bunch a short stays to see how it goes then maybe you would appreciate a longer one but maybe not!

Lynne2
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi Kevin, I know that you have said that you have already turned down the request, but perhaps if your area is likely to produce these kind of requests, you could ask for a reference from the company or a contact in the company to verify.  Where I live, we have many visiting overseas students and university staff, who do want a longer stay.  The first point of verification is then the university.  Of course, it also depends on the kind of accommodation you're offering.  I see that you are offering rooms, which might be less suitable for this kind of longer stay.