Greece Government ask for valid ID on Check in - airbnb doesn't follow rules

Greece Government ask for valid ID on Check in - airbnb doesn't follow rules

Hello to the Community, 

i My name is Claudia and i'm hosting in Greece .I had yesterday a reservation  and i asked the guest kindly to send me the ID for the contactless check in

( Corvid free with distance rules  )  , so i could issue a receipt and leave the receipt inside the house upon arrival, as i leave the key in a lock box.The guest canceled the stay as didn't want to provide the details and Airbnb refunded the guest with an open  case requested by the guest  in full. Question, the Government rules are not binding to Airbnb? How is it that possible i will get a penalty of asking according to the local law and Airbnb is ignoring the fact ?The local law is even listed on Airbnb website

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1246/responsible-hosting-in-greece

I'm very upset and i would like to hear your  opinion about it please.

thank you 

27 Replies 27
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Claudia452 Do you have it in your house rules that guests must supply ID up front of their stay?

@Mike-And-Jane0 as a professional host with 35 properties it's on my profile and stated it self on Airbnb ( see link above) .I mean i offer a contactless check in to provide security to the guest and so there i need to ask for those information upon front. I could also ask upon arrival but then i don't follow the Corvid distance rules.........

@Mike-And-Jane0

why, it's a law and should be stated on Airbnb for all Travellers arriving to Greece 

@Claudia452  2 reasons why it should be made clear on your listings:

1) The law requires all guests to be registered once they arrive. This is very different to your requirements where you expect guests to send you copies of their identity documents before they arrive.

2) You cannot expect Airbnb to put all local laws on their website. It would be even harder for them to do so where there are local state, county or town laws as well.

As I understand it the host is responsible for complying with the law so you need to take responsibility and do so. It is quite simple - If you don't then you can expect more cancellations and losses. But as you say you are a professional host.....

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Claudia452 I am not questioning your need for this information. I am asking if the guest's new about it before they booked. If you are a professional host surely the professional thing to do is make people aware of all the requirements in the listing rues before they book. Many people rightly do not want to send ID document information over unsecured systems for fear of identity theft. 

You cannot expect guests to read the link you posted as that is for hosts.

As licensed by the Greek Government it's the same procedure as you check in to a hotel. Would you question this ? I do understand your point of view , but then  Airbnb needs to take care of that issue as it's obligatory by Greek law and in their own link on their website it is mentioned. 

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Claudia452 I think there is a difference between showing your ID and sending it over the internet/mail or what so ever. I for example wouldn't be happy to scan and send my ID over the internet.

Groetjes Katja

@Katja202 you don't have to do so, just send the number for me to issue the invoice to your name 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Claudia452 @Katja202 @Mike-And-Jane0 

People are apparently willing to send Airbnb enough information to steal their identities and charge their credit cards for any amount they like.

Does anyone really believe that they can trust every single Airbnb employee and subcontractor out there?

I don’t see any reason why Airbnb can’t require passport verification in countries where it is legally mandated. If they don’t want to provide it to the host they should be able to provide it directly to the relevant authorities.

@Brian20356

agree with you 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It  is my understanding, @Claudia452 , you require the guest to provide the government ID, separate from the Air BNB verification, to be in compliance with your country's regulations.  Unlike a hotel which meets this requirement by in-person registration, you needed to find a way to satisfy the regulation without the expense of in-person meeting.  As such, there will be those individuals who do not want to provide the documents electronically and others who will.  I don't think Air BNB can do anything further to assist you but I am curious what penalty you incurred by the guest cancelling.  You lost a guest, but that is not a penalty.  Perhaps I am not understanding your issue...

@Linda108

let me send you the copy of the message i have received from Airbnb after guest canceled, opened a case and got 100 % refund.......it's not i would like to check .... it's i need to do so by law and Airbnb knows it!!!!!!

If you’d still like to check a guest’s passport information in person on arrival, we’d ask you to make this request clear from the start in your listing description or house rules. This will allow any potential guests to decide whether they’re comfortable with this agreement before choosing to book with you.

Normally in a case like this we will cancel the reservation in your name with penalty for the Host

I this case a make a One time Courtey in your interest without penalty.

So it appears there was no penalty afterall.  I wonder if all you are asking is a number, if the Air BNB platform will allow it as some number sequences are deleted by the system.  Also, if the guest is willing to send documents to Air BNB using what they think is a secure system and you are using the same system, what is the problem.  Perhaps it is a matter of the guest perception and perhaps you can assist with that perception in your communications.  Over the years I, along with many seasoned and professional hosts, find it best to figure out how to solve a problem on our own rather that seeking Air BNB system to change.  Just a thought.

@Linda108 thank you for your thought which is similar to mine.