Grounds for termination of contract ?

Alison13
Level 2
Birkirkara, Malta

Grounds for termination of contract ?

My host booked my apartment for two months. Within minutes of arriving last week they started complaining about stuff that was quite beyond my control but I still tried to help them  - first it was because they didn't get adapter plugs for their devices (I bought them for them), then it was about not being able to access their email (even though they had internet Wi-fi everywhere).  

Now they want to terminate the contract (after less than a week) because a neighbour upstairs is doing some works in his apartment (which he assured us will only last a few days) and is making loud noise for a few hours during the day.  

My guests have 2 babies with them so I can understand, but this is not something that I can fix.  

Another complaint they have is that the bedroom is colder and damper than the rest of the apartment. There is no mould or wet patches anywhere but it is north facing so doesn't get as much sunlight during the day.  They have an airconditioning unit in this room but they refuse to use it as they believe it would harm the babies. I offered to give them a dehumidifier.

Is this enough ground to terminate a contract ?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First ask them to contact AirBnB to terminate the booking - you should not do it or you will be penalised. Then its down to AirBnB, you and your cancellation policy as to what happens. Sounds like its the culmination of a number of issues - all small that have built up to a bigger issue. 

Thank you

Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

The situation may be legitimate and of concern to them but on the other hand they may just be finding reason to terminate the agreement and get as much of their money back.  This is especially true if they are putting all their complaints on the Airbnb message system making it appear like a disaster apartment.  If Airbnb can see that you have been helpful, of if Airbnb can see that issues are being blown out of proportion, i would hope that Airbnb would honour the long term rental terms as per below. I agree with  @Gerry-And-Rashid0, no matter what happens, do not cancel the booking yourself.  Let the guest do it.

If the guest books a long term stay and decides to cancel the long term agreement during their stay, the guest must use the online alteration tool in order to agree to a new checkout date. Regardless of the checkout date chosen, the guest is required to pay the host for the 30 days following the cancellation date, or up to the end date of the guest’s original reservation if the remaining days of the original reservation is less than 30 days.

thank you