Guest Cancellation

in
Bowen Island, Canada
Level 2

If a guest cancels prior to check-in can the host see if the guest booked another location on the same dates?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Guest Cancellation

in
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Level 10

@Terry605 

No, the host can not see this.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

in
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Level 10

@Terry605 

No, the host can not see this.

in
Bowen Island, Canada
Level 2

@Emiel1 

Thank you for your reply

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Terry605  The only way you could see this would be to keep an eye on the guest's profile and reviews to see if they get a review for the same time frame. But it wouldn't have the exact dates on it, it just shows the month of the guest's stay.

in
Bowen Island, Canada
Level 2

@Sarah977 

Thank you Sarah for your reply

in
Fayetteville, NC
Level 2

Hello, I was wondering for a newbie of 6 months doing Airbnb what should my cancellation policy be. I don’t like when people book keep big others from booking then cancel at last minute. Any advice on this?

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Yvette271 we have always used Strict (and even this isn't that strict!). I honestly don't think guests look to closely at this and will, even with strict, angle for a refund but it makes us feel more secure when a booking comes in.

Level 2

Oh what a nightmare I am going through with a cancellation from the guest....10 days and airbnb is still working on it.....It is soooo obvious that the guest is 100% in the wrong...and yes I have a strict one from the jump....airbnb made the decision 2 days ago that guest does NOT get a refund....and now they are still giving the guest more time to negotiate with them, because the original reason was not won on the guest's end.....so they are angling for another reason!!  WTF???  The decision was already made.  The concern was that it smelled like smoke and I have this documented......IT's a SMOKING unit, which states that in my listing!!  Why is airbnb giving them another angle to consider????  This is totally not right!!

in
Ojai, CA
Level 2

I agree with you. Just changed mine to strict, too.

Sharon S MaHarry

in
Ojai, CA
Level 2

Hi, I'm a new Airbnb host so I need your help. I had a guest who booked Nov. 23-Dec.17th. She and her niece moved in, loved the place. On December 7th, she informed me that her niece was booked for a tonsilectomy on the 14th and they were canceling the rest of the trip. She told me on the 8th that she had canceled thru Airbnb. Airbnb is still showing those last 10 days of her stay as booked. So not only have I lost all that money, I have no chance of getting it back because my calendar looks as if it's booked! What should I do?

Sharon S MaHarry

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Sharon1378  "She told me she cancelled" doesn't mean squat. You should see the booking showing on your end as cancelled. Did you get any notice of refund to the guest? 

It doesn't sound like she cancelled if your dates are still blocked. 

What is your cancellation policy? Unless it's flexible, she doesn't just get a full refund for cancelled days.

in
Ojai, CA
Level 2

My policy was medium but I changed to strict today after all this. I didn’t get any notifications so I contacted support and so did the guest. She said there was a glitch and they’re trying to charge her $600. I don’t know what’s happening because host support said they had to speak to the guest.

Sharon S MaHarry

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Sharon1378   You mean "moderate? With the moderate policy she would be charged for all the nights she stayed, plus one additional night after cancelling, plus 50% for each remaining night of the booking.

Airbnb isn't ""trying to charge her $600". She already paid for the entire original booking. She thinks she should get $600 refunded- all the nights she didn't stay. She's wrong.