Guest Cancellation

Answered!
Terry605
Level 2
Bowen Island, Canada

Guest Cancellation

If a guest cancels prior to check-in can the host see if the guest booked another location on the same dates?

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Terry605 

No, the host can not see this.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Terry605 

No, the host can not see this.

@Emiel1 

Thank you for your reply

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Terry605  The only way you could see this would be to keep an eye on the guest's profile and reviews to see if they get a review for the same time frame. But it wouldn't have the exact dates on it, it just shows the month of the guest's stay.

@Sarah977 

Thank you Sarah for your reply

Yvette271
Level 2
Fayetteville, NC

Hello, I was wondering for a newbie of 6 months doing Airbnb what should my cancellation policy be. I don’t like when people book keep big others from booking then cancel at last minute. Any advice on this?

@Yvette271 we have always used Strict (and even this isn't that strict!). I honestly don't think guests look to closely at this and will, even with strict, angle for a refund but it makes us feel more secure when a booking comes in.

Oh what a nightmare I am going through with a cancellation from the guest....10 days and airbnb is still working on it.....It is soooo obvious that the guest is 100% in the wrong...and yes I have a strict one from the jump....airbnb made the decision 2 days ago that guest does NOT get a refund....and now they are still giving the guest more time to negotiate with them, because the original reason was not won on the guest's end.....so they are angling for another reason!!  WTF???  The decision was already made.  The concern was that it smelled like smoke and I have this documented......IT's a SMOKING unit, which states that in my listing!!  Why is airbnb giving them another angle to consider????  This is totally not right!!

I had a guest who had several bookings.  6 days being the least.He started contacting me three days prior nto check in- Stating he wasn't stalking.  What?  He booked the single unit for a week then moved to the other listing of mine. e was tolerable at irst and I thought I could manage his flirtations because my boyfriend is here everyday.  It came to a head after the 50th rebuff of his  constant harassment 50-100 texts a day.  He is a drunk and has gotten volatile with me.  I informed airBnb and then he told them I was threatening his life.

I had to get a restraining order.  Air Bnb keeps telling me to drop off his items at the police dept.  For one I can't "drop off any items to the Sheriffs Dept.  They would laugh me right out the door annd tell me to take the crap with me when I leave.  Additionally, his motorcycle wont fit in my car, nor will his tools, his mtn bike, his bike carrier and misc clothing.

What world do they live in that they tell me to take all this stuff to the Sheriff.?  Meanwhile AirBnb cancels his reservation, AND the incoming guest to a tune of a $1700 loss of revenue.  AirBnb does not cancel His other reservation that is now five days away. But, they inform me the customer cancelled. I have a firm policy therefore, I am entitled to a 100% payout of the reservation..  I call AirBnb and I write AirBnb to tell tem I am enforcing my cancellation policy. That the guest cancelled under the 7 day limit.  I am told, Rst assured, we will honor your cancellation policy.  I take screenshots of he upcoming payouts.  All of a sudden the put 840.00 of his current reservation that they cancelled in my account.  I call 30 times I write 30 msgs. They then take the upcominh payout off my pending transactions. Then they mark the reservation as cancelled by them.  I had spoken with one support ambassador who told me the exact time that the guest made the cancellation.   I am getting more upset by the minute.

AirBnb does not respond for the next  24 hours.Tgey still are not responding.  I took screenshots and recorded the phone conversations so I have proof of them changing the reservation.  I repeatedly ask why they paid me for one of the reservations THEY cancelled after refunding the guest 2/3 of the reservation.  And inform them they should be paying for the reservation that the guest cancelled. And if they are going to refund the reservations they cancel then they should pay the other guests too and furthermore they still had to pay me the 3500 for the reservation cancelled by the guest.  To this they wont respond.  They are trying to buy me off with an $850.00 reservation of which they refunded the guest $503.00.  The legit policy defined cancellation by the guest is worth $3653.75 and they are acting like the reservation was never there and if they acknowledge it they have marked it as cancelled by Air Bnb.  WTF??????

This is embezzlement.  Their behavior is criminal and shameful.  Dont they make enough money off of us????

How they can lie and change their story and not respond is shameful. This is the second time in a two month period that they have stolen money from me.  

The support ambassador says he is escalting and sending to a specialized team.  Then they respond with "my colleague is out can you tell me again" then they make it so the thread that theuy enailed you cant be resonded to by email. and then it strts all over.  To arbitrate is going to cost $4300.00 and they will just lie even though I have proof they will just lie and show altered documents.  I only have screenshots  and recordings, what do you think my chances are of winning?? has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior?

I agree with you. Just changed mine to strict, too.

Sharon S MaHarry

Hi, I'm a new Airbnb host so I need your help. I had a guest who booked Nov. 23-Dec.17th. She and her niece moved in, loved the place. On December 7th, she informed me that her niece was booked for a tonsilectomy on the 14th and they were canceling the rest of the trip. She told me on the 8th that she had canceled thru Airbnb. Airbnb is still showing those last 10 days of her stay as booked. So not only have I lost all that money, I have no chance of getting it back because my calendar looks as if it's booked! What should I do?

Sharon S MaHarry
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sharon1378  "She told me she cancelled" doesn't mean squat. You should see the booking showing on your end as cancelled. Did you get any notice of refund to the guest? 

It doesn't sound like she cancelled if your dates are still blocked. 

What is your cancellation policy? Unless it's flexible, she doesn't just get a full refund for cancelled days.

My policy was medium but I changed to strict today after all this. I didn’t get any notifications so I contacted support and so did the guest. She said there was a glitch and they’re trying to charge her $600. I don’t know what’s happening because host support said they had to speak to the guest.

Sharon S MaHarry

@Sharon1378   You mean "moderate? With the moderate policy she would be charged for all the nights she stayed, plus one additional night after cancelling, plus 50% for each remaining night of the booking.

Airbnb isn't ""trying to charge her $600". She already paid for the entire original booking. She thinks she should get $600 refunded- all the nights she didn't stay. She's wrong. 

Sheree59
Level 2
Fort Myers, FL

Too many cancellations tbh. I just changed mine to strict. But, if that fails, I can’t imagine how people tolerate it. Very inconvenient for hosts and a financial disaster when bookings are seasonal especially.