Guest Communication

Answered!
Alison148
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Guest Communication

Hello,

Would be grateful for some advice please.  I have guests arriving tomorrow and sent a message yesterday morning advising them as to self-checkin as I am going to be away this weekend.  I subsequently messaged them again this morning to ask if they had received the message and again via email earlier tonight.  I also tried calling them on the phone number supplied on the site however it would not connect.  (Number starts with +971, which I tried and then substituted with 0.)   

Am new to hosting and have only utilized self check-in a couple of times before and it went absolutely fine.  It is clear in my listing that whilst I prefer to be here to welcome guests in person this isn't always possible.

I am anxious about going away without knowing they have received my messages and are happy with the instructions contained therein however not sure what else I can do.

Does anyone else have any experience of non-communication from guests and how to handle it?

Thanks, Alison

1 Best Answer

@Alison148 - it's quite possible that they are traveling and do not have internet access yet which is why they haven't responded.  Once they are able to connect, they will receive your messages.  I do not see any reason to wory about going away on your trip.  At a minimum, if they contact Airbnb upon arrival, Airbnb will contact you and all the details can be relayed.  Enjoy your vacation! 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Alison148 - it's quite possible that they are traveling and do not have internet access yet which is why they haven't responded.  Once they are able to connect, they will receive your messages.  I do not see any reason to wory about going away on your trip.  At a minimum, if they contact Airbnb upon arrival, Airbnb will contact you and all the details can be relayed.  Enjoy your vacation! 

@Alice-and-Jeff0  Thanks very for much for responding to my post.  Yeah, I guess it could be down to lack of internet however I gleen from original booking request that the person currently lives in England.  That said, internet could still be intermittent I suppose.

Even without them responding to my messages, it's odd they haven't been in touch to confirm their anticipated time of arrival either.  I always contact my guests a couple of days before they are due to arrive to firm up on arrangements, it's just in this case nothing has come back.

I shall go away and hope for the best.  Not much choice really as otherwise I loose out on my trip 😞

Thanks for the support, much appreciated. 

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Hi I have had some guests who don’t communicate 

they do not  need internet to send a mobile text  watsapp or message through the Airbnb app - 

its frustrating 

i have asked Airbnb to give them the guest - messaging/ communication options right from the start  then we would all know where we are and have no worries !

Jill

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Just to say my guest messaged me this morning.  Had meant to do so earlier but just didn't sort of thing.  All part of the rich tapestry of being a host I reckon, heyho.

Thanks again for responding, I was evidently having a flap and your message served to reassure me there wasn't really anything I could do other than hope for the best - as it turns out, all's well 🙂

N-C-0
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Airbnb used to give hosts the actual personal email of upcoming guest so I could contact directly with telephone numbers etc.  Does that ability still exist, and where do I find it? I have looked at guest profile etc, and do not see it.

nancy

Steve-And-Julie-Ann0
Level 1
Redwood City, CA

Hi, we are about to welcome our very first guests on airbnb, at least we hope to. Does airbnb require new guests when signing up to provide a photo? My question is because a week ago someone booked our place. But without an image, and without any details about themselves other than contact info. We don't want to contact them outside of airbnb, but I have already sent a couple messages to them within airbnb without a response in almost a week. Basically we've had no communication with them at all other than they booked our place for over Christmas. They show as new members to airbnb, but that's all, so I asked if there was anything special they needed or if they had family in the area. Still no response.

Any suggestions?

Carlos1002
Level 3
Mazunte, Mexico

I noticed that airbnb hides all phone numbers, as well as websites when communicating on airbnb. I do all of my business through airbnb, and all my communications too, but airbnb is assuming that there is access to internet and wifi everywhere you go. Let's be realistic. My listings are in a place where wifi access is very limited, and I have a need to communicate externally. Not every place in this world has internet access. Airbnb is an international platform, not only in the USA. You should try to help your hosts to be successful, instead of not letting them communicate by phone. As long as airbnb keeps being used for all business and you keep getting all the fees, I don't see why you should keep hiding all the communication tools. I have had a hard time communicating with guests that arrive at a certain time and have no internet access; which has led to cancelled bookings. It is just not fair. You should change your policies, and let us communicate externally in cases of real need. That is my opinion.