Guest Complaint About Working Farm Next Door

Guest Complaint About Working Farm Next Door

I have a guest that is currently staying for a month that texted this morning and said there is a huge problem, the neighbors are killing pigs all over the property next door and because a couple of the guests are vegetarians this is a major problem for them. I called the guest and explained I understand this is uncomfortable for them but it is out of our control and that we do clearly state in our manual that we are located in the country between two working farms. For context our listing also notes we are surrounded by farmland. They said they would need to leave and would file a complaint with AirBnB, however I have yet to hear anything from them almost 8 hours later.

I'm happy to accommodate them leaving early, but because they have yet to take any action should I wait for them to initiate with AirBnB or should I send them an official message through the AirBnB platform to make sure I have a trail of communication? 

Do I need to do anything else to try to accommodate them beyond offering to allow them to leave early and refunding for the remaining time they have booked at the property? I want to avoid a negative review, however it's really out of my control and while I respect different perspectives this is a way of life in the area our property is located and I also have to be respectful of that.

Would love any suggestions.

6 Replies 6
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I think some of your fellow hosts from The South have advised in similar circumstances to tell the guests "Well bless your hearts!"

- With you all the way, @Matt771 !

Thanks @Helen350, exactly what I wanted to say!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You want avoid a negative review even if you bend over backwards 

Ans why would you? highly doubt the neighbours are ‘killing pigs all over the property’ that’s not how pigs are killed in most Western countries .

You must know what you can see from the listings - is there anything that could cause concern?

Speak to the neighbouring farmer - it sounds to put it kindly they are exaggerating.

you can then respond and say you are sorry they didn’t note the listing was between two farms, and that given they are vegetarian that they didn’t check what sort of farming takes place to ensure animals weren’t farmed.

Tell them from your knowledge of the property what can be seen in terms of the farm - and confirm this with the farmer.

Armed with information, say that although no killing of animals can be seen, from the listing- if they don’t want to continue with their stay,  as a gesture of good will, if you reset any of the days you will let them have a proportional refund @Matt771 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Matt771 

This is a "long term stay", so if the guest should cancel it, no refund is given due to the "long term stay" cancellation policy. So you can offer them to shorten the reservation (use "change" option), but to avoid problems (the change form contains bugs when it comes to "long term stays"), the change must be done by you (as it gives you control over the calculated price and the amount of refund).

If they complain at Airbnb it can take some time, as Airbnb CS is very slow responding. Not sure how Airbnb will handle such a complaint, as the guests obviously did not read your listing very well before booking it for a month.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Matt771 

To make up for the inconvenience, invite them to a barbeque.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

🤣🤣🤣