Guest Count

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Guest Count

Every third booking comes in with 1 guest recorded as the number of people staying.  Accompanying messages then refer to "we."  I don't charge by the person, but I nevertheless ask to send a modification to correct the number of guests for insurance purposes.

But I know that the guest isn't deliberately trying to mislead or just being careless.  In every case, the person booking began a search with the correct number of guests, but by the time he/she/they found a place to book, the number had reverted back to the default number, one.  

When a guest chooses the number of people traveling, they do it very consciously - they have to go to that box, then click the plus symbol to get to the right number.  It's good that Airbnb presents that in such a way as to make the guest conscious of adding the data.  And I understand they probably put it in at the first place they're trying to book, not perhaps in the overall search.  Quite often, after they enter the number of people and their dates, they see a reason why not to complete the booking, whether it's the price or the extra fees or something else.  They then go on to another listing and probably don't re-enter the number of people, whether because they've already entered that somewhere or because they are now not sure whether they'll even complete the booking at the second place is unclear.

I recommend that Airbnb install a little pop-up that asks the guest if he/she/they would like to save the number of guests for future searches.  That way they only have to enter it once, wherever it is they first entered it.

13 Replies 13
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Agree that this would be a great solution, @Ann72 . Same here: same price for one as for two, one guest and "we" in the messaging, and not all are new to Airbnb. Loads of experienced guests, even some who are returning here.

In almost all cases they tell me they put in two people but it must have changed somewhere. So frustrating for them. 

In looking on the bright side, it is then easy for them to find the cancel button each time my province goes back into lockdown. "Same button," I say, "as the one you used when you changed to two people."

Okay, not a very bright side, but still... 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

It would also be helpful if the default number of people in the group would be 0. At least we would immediately know it is wrong.

Exactly @Branka-and-Silvia0 - I have often thought that if that were the case, the guest would be forced to enter a number consciously before he/she/they can reserve.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Also brilliant.....!!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ute42 

Haha.... cracking!  xx 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Ann72 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Lawrene0 

Make Your proposals to one of the new Host Advisory Board Members.

These guys are tough, they're gonna make fire unter airbnb's a**.  😎

@Branka-and-Silvia0   

Send Your proposal to Till in Germany, he's a kiIIer.

He's as good with this pũmpgũn as Eric Clapton is with his guitar.  😎

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-Advisory-Board-members/m-p/1402230/highlight/true#M305...

😂😂😂 @Ute42 

Ken113
Level 2
Jackson, TN

Curious about others' thoughts.

I would not charge a couple an upcharge for using the same bed.

But would charge an additional fee if two people used two beds/rooms

mkl38301

June238
Level 2
Martinsville, Australia

What about extra linen?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

Brilliant...!!

Lee386
Level 4
Cyprus

@Ann72 I think this is a great idea, and also the suggestion to set the initial count to zero, indicating a genuine error when a booking comes through. I do charge extra for 3 or more guests to cover linen etc. so it is important for me to know the correct count of people staying. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Great ideas @Ann72  & @Branka-and-Silvia0. I’m for a “0”default as well. I’ve used the system as a guest and had my “2” turn into a “1” guest by the final confirmation. Then you feel like an idiot when you then contact the host to let them know there are two of you....

As a host, my space is a standard fee, with a capacity to fit up to four persons and an infant. However, the guest number and the breakdown matters, to the bed configurations that a guest can request. Or the setting up of cots etc.  I’ve had to not allow a larger number when further communicating  uncovers a larger number than the space can bear. That irritating “1” default is time wasting, requiring emails and messaging to clarify. 

While AIrbnb alter the default “1” to a “0” and bring in a end of process pop up for numbers, how about a link to the hosts maximum number (their settings) and that guest booking number.

Example, if on the penultimate click, before “book”, if a guest puts in five guests (adults/children) and in a hosts guests numbers are set, at say “four” adults and children, another pop up appears, saying this listing cannot accept five adults/ children.  

Wow. That would save deliberate oversights on numbers. Alert guests that any extra guests is against the listings rules. That then only leaves the obviously deceitful at play. Saves time...  But they could then be told they can send an enquiry to the host, outlying their guest number query! 
Win win... Four it removes time wasters and would allow a host to have a mature conversation with the potential booking  guest.