Guest Destroys Home and Is allowed to write a bad review

Guest Destroys Home and Is allowed to write a bad review

I am a Superhost with 290 -5 star reviews with a villa in Palm Springs. I recently had a guest that destroyed my home. When she left I immediately contacted her to find out what happened. Her response was “have your cleaning lady fix it and with one bad review from me your entire business will go down”.
Well, I filed a claim for over $3700 in damages and she retaliated by writing a horrible review. Now, airbnb won’t take the review down.
How does airbnb do such a thing?
How do guests that break rules and damage our homes have the right to write a review?
Airbnb has made it such that Hosts can’t confront guests about damages in fear of a bad review.
I am really disappointed in Airbnb and want to take my listings down.
I would love if our host community would share this and band together against Airbnb. It is time they treat us fairly.
21 Replies 21
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sharona0  Did you get Airbnb to look at the review extortion threat she sent you? Extortion is against tje Airbnb TOS.

Sarah, You would think the video's and pictures of the damage would suffice. I, stupidly, called her when I found out about all the damage so she said it verbally....:(

I didn't think I had to record phone conversations but I guess I do now. 

@Sharona0  I'm not sure that Airbnb will even consent to listening to phone conversation recordings. It's best to always keep communication with guests in the Airbnb messaging system, so they have access to it. Especially if it anything that could prove contentious. If it's just a guest phoning to say they're running late and will be another hour until they check in, no big deal.

The trashing the house issue is separate from the review extortion issue, although I know that sounds ridiculous. You can get reviews removed if you can prove the review violates the review policies. Extensive damage doesn't violate review policy.

I understand EXTENSIVE DAMAGE doesn't violate a review policy but why? 

Why should someone that destroys your home have the right to leave a bad review? 

That's what doesn't make sense to me. 

@Sharona0  Of course it's insane that bad guests can leave revenge reviews, it makes no sense at all, except to Airbnb, because it accomplishes exactly what Airbnb wants- to keep hosts so terrified of a bad review that they let everything guests do pass without complaint or claims for compensation.

Hosts have been yelling about this for years and it falls on deaf ears.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Sharona0 
Welcome to community 😊
I agree with you! 'The review system doesn't make sense!'
And it's out of our hands!

I've over dozen of untrue, unfair, and revenge reviews. What should I do?

It is out of my control and I‘m not even border to response in the public. 

As the review are the backbone of Airbnb's community and maintain that structure, Airbnb has guidelines to ensure all reviews are fair, honest, and relevant to the guest travel and experience.
Airbnb's default position is not to delete, censor, or edit reviews. By that means, Airbnb may remove a review only if it violates Airbnb Review guidelines.

You may click the link below for more information:
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/13
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2673
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546

You can always be a response to the public of the untrue review.
Report to Airbnb to remove it if it violated the review guidelines.

Nevertheless, it's always a place to improve. As the link below,

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Catherine-s-Host-Update-reviews-party-ban-policy-...

Happy Hosting! ✌️

Happy Hosting! 😊

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Sharona0  

You ask:

• Why should someone that destroys your home have the right to leave a bad review?

It is the official airbnb policy not to delete retaliatory reviews. With this policy airbnb wants to discourange hosts to file damage claims against guests. Because if You do file a damage claim You can be pretty sure to get a bad review.

Most of the airbnb hosts meanwhile know about this policy and no longer fail damage claims against guests. Guests who can damage a property without being held accountable for it like the platform, come back to the platform and book again wich increases revenue.

Does that make sense to You?

You are genius. I really never thought of that. Why don't they just offer insurance that the guests can purchase like VRBO? It would be so much easier for everyone. 

@Sharona0 

Yes, but an insurance costs money. It's cheaper for the guests if we hosts pay their damages out of our pockets.

seriously!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ute42 

I would not allow @Sharona0  's  guest to book my place, based on the review starting with "Worst guest I have ever hosted"

I have literally hosted at least 150 bookings and I have NEVER had a guest act like this. She was the most entitled person I have every met. Honestly, it really made me sad to know that there are people like this in the world with absolutely no concern about other people. 

@Emiel1 

She can set up a new account and start from scratch. Maybe she has done that before, bc Sharona's review is the only review she has.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sharona0

What exactly was "destroyed" in your home making it a $3700,- bill ?

The reviews/comments seems to be rather conflicting.