Guest Lost Her Job And Wants to Move Away Early

Ayelet0
Level 2
Washington, DC

Guest Lost Her Job And Wants to Move Away Early

Hello! I have a guest who checked in for a 6-week stay. She had a work contract in town that was just canceled and now she wants to leave and get her money back. I explained that I'd like to help her somehow, but if she leaves now I don't have others coming to stay because she's been taking up space on my calendar. How have you handled this?

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Hi Ayelet

Thanks for posting your worries. I have a few questions I wanted to ask you as I have a background in contracts.  IF she was truly hired to come to your town for a contact job, didn't the hiring company pay for her lodging?  It seems odd that they would enter into a contract job with her but require for her to pay for her own lodging.  And if they hired her for the 6 week stay, and now cancelled on her early, then her "beef" is with them, not you.  You two entered an agreement that she would stay for 6 weeks at an agreed price though Airbnb and you are running a business.  Why should you lose out becasue the company that she contracted with has decided to cut her loose?  You shouldn't. 

While I do appreciate that its always good to work on negotiating with people, since I did that for years in my previous career, I always made sure my clients didnt lose out.  Everyone needs to be happy with the outcome.

I have one suggestion.  Let her know in writing that IF you are able to rebook the dates with another guests, then you will enter into a resolution to return whatever monies you see fit.  Its not your responsibility to take a loss, its your responsiblity to protect your business.  We are not here to give away our homes.  We are hear to provide a comfortable place for our guests for a fee, just like a hotel would do.  If you book a vacation package with Expedia, and you don't buy insurance, and you have to leave that said hotel early, you dont' get any monies back from any hotel.  Paid is paid.  Its that simple.  

Ask yourself if you are running a business or a charity.  Sometimes, its good to be both, but for the right person.   What is she doing to be proactive in helping you to recover that loss should she leave and demand that you pay her?  I prefer to negotiate with those who are willing to be proactive in solving the issue, not those who "demand" anything. 

If you can afford to give her 1/2 back and she agress, then its a win win.  If not, go with my other suggestion of asking her to give you a chance to rebook the dates that she held from other people who might have booked your place prior to her arrival. Personally, I am a host to make money to help pay the $800 medical insurance bill I get every month for my daughter and I, provide a great service and help my guests in anyway I can.  

Do what makes you feel comfortable....but remember, to provide this detail in her review for other hosts to see. I don't want that person coming to stay in my home only to ask for their money back because they have to leave early because their contractor ended their deal before the time frame.

Again, why would she be responsible for paying for lodging if she was contracted to come to DC for 6 weeks?   its very odd.  very odd.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Thanks so much for your response, Momi. Very helpful. So now I have two questions: 1) how do I open the dates she has booked on my calendar to see if I can fill them? If I accept her cancelation request then the days are open but I assume Airbnb will take her payment back from me. Do I ask her for that amount in cash, accept her request to change her dates to just the time she spends with me (1 week out of six she has booked), and pay her back that cash as I'm able to book the place? And 2) I'm afraid that if I don't relent and do everything she asks of me that she'll leave a bad review. Any thoughts on those? Thanks again!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Ayelet0,

Great to meet you, it is fantastic to see you have started an interesting discussion. 

I am just going to tag @Momi0, so she receives a notification about your reply. A little tip, if you add the @ symbol here in the CC, followed by the name of the person in the thread they receive an email (@name). 

I hope this is helpful. Thanks, Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Thanks, @Lizzie! This is my first time here, obviously. What a resource!

Yes Lizzie.....Mahalo!  

I want so much to help @Ayelet0 in this situation so she can feel good about making her decision. Its a tough one, but I am very curious why someone was contracted for a 6 week job and was cancelled on after 1 week. Something tells me they didn't see what they wanted in her work to keep her around but why would she have to pay for her own lodging.  Odd.  

Also wanted to say thank you for ALL that you do managing this community. I continue to learn from you and the many experienced hosts.  After 7 months of hosting, I am hoping I can now help others as I have experienced ALOT hahahaha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

Just go into the reservation and click Change or Cancel. Click Change and put in the new end date. The guest will have to accept. This will open up the calendar for future bookings on the open dates.

Thanks, guys. I don't want to pay the price for her contract getting canceled, but I also don't want to be a jerk. I'm searching for the happy medium. Any idea what that would be?