Guest No Show - Although in Contact and has *not* cancelled

Answered!
Chris1492
Level 5
West Kirby, United Kingdom

Guest No Show - Although in Contact and has *not* cancelled

Advice appreciated - on-going situation at t date/time of post.

1) Guest due to arrive Monday (of this week). Does not arrive. Sends me message - "trouble with car, will arrive tomorrow" (Tuesday)

2) This situation basically carries on for each day of the booking. I am paid by Airbnb on the Tuesday (as normal). No guest has arrived.

3) It is now Wednesday and they have just messaged again - "still trouble with car, hoping to be there for the last nigh, tomorrow".

4) They are due to checkout Friday. I cannot extend, as I have another guest booked for Saturday arrival.

5) If (assume 'if') guest arrives tomorrow, it will be for 1 night of a 4 night booking.

6) Assume 'trouble with car' is genuine. 

(They seem genuine, and are just have a bout of misfortune) 

What would you do? Would you offer a partial refund as a pure goodwill gesture? If so - how would go about delivering such a gesture?

(My terms are flexible, cancellation up to 24 hours before. So far, no sign in any messages of any refund demands)

Thank all, Chris

Chris, UK
1 Best Answer

@Chris1492  in the past, it has never been my experience that Airbnb refunded guests who did not show up or complete their bookings. But if the guest hasn't even started talking about refunds yet, that might not even come up. They might just be one of those decent travelers that has realistic expectations and/or travel insurance - despite the horror stories, there are plenty of those out there!

If the guest never arrives for the booking, a review isn't necessary. But if you do decide to write one, just report honestly on how the communication concludes. I would welcome a no-show guest who politely updates about travel delays and makes no fuss about money, but anyone who has ever requested a refund is an instant Decline. 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I have a current no-show at the moment.

The guest booked several weeks ago - initially, she sent an inquiry which changed to a trip request as I watched, where she jumped right into "Can I check out at 4pm since I have a later flight?"  No introduction, no other communication. 8 prior reviews, mostly good, not perfect, someone mentioned house rules. 

I offered a 2-hour extension on the check-out, until 2pm, and she sent a nice thank-you note back. 

Yesterday was check-in day - my check-in time is 3pm and that is in my check-in instructions which I send 2 days before arrival. 

Yesterday, I got a message at 11.30 am saying she had arrived early, and could she have an early check-in or drop off bags?    I indicated I was working, and the space wasn't ready yet (since I was planning on a 3pm check-in) ,  but said I would message if I could have the space ready earlier.  She just said "no worries". 

I messaged at 1.30pm letting the guest know the space would be ready at 2pm, an hour early. 

No acknowledgement, and no check-in yesterday. Nothing so far today, either.   It seems possible she connected with friends. Right now I'm in wait-and-see mode. I haven't reached out. 

Heard from the guest - she crashed at a friend's place, checking in today. So, you never know !